Reply
Contributor
Carbon44
Posts: 80
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

Hey Folks I have a question. My girlfriend recently purchased an item with her store card last week and it didn't fit so she returned it today. Her statement closes in two days and the question she has is what does she do? With returns the balance doesn't come off right away as we all know. So does she pay the balance and then is stuck with a negative balance essentially she has to make a purchase at that store again or if she doesn't pay it will they know it's because she returned the item and a zero balance in the works. The was the only charge she put on that card by the way. Normally I have most answers to credit, but I have never been in this situation so I help me out! Thank you!!!

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed
Posts: 2,953
Registered: ‎02-09-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

Pay it, then request a check for the credit balance.

Frequent Contributor
mmduluth
Posts: 320
Registered: ‎05-17-2011
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

+1 this is what I do with store cards.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Contributor
Carbon44
Posts: 80
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

Pefect had her make the payment just now online and she can call them on Wednesay. Thank you for your help

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Established Contributor
jamie123
Posts: 782
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

Just make the minimum payment. That way you aren't out much money.

 

Same thing happened to me....

 

I told the wife she should just lose some weight so it fits. (Oops...I meant ex-wife!)



Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 683 8/24/14 - EX 687 7/21/14 - TU 682 7/21/14
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
compassion101
Posts: 576
Registered: ‎06-06-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!


jamie123 wrote:

 

Same thing happened to me....

 

I told the wife she should just lose some weight so it fits


:smileylol:

Established Contributor
andre181
Posts: 624
Registered: ‎07-29-2010
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

[ Edited ]

If the statement closes in 2 days, just do nothing.

 

When the return is credited to the account, no payment will be due (if this item was the only purchase). The only repercution is that a balance will report for the month. No big deal unless its a LARGE amount. The return should definitely be credited before the payment will be due, so just wait and pay nothing.

 

IMO, its really impractical to pay and then request a check. Most places take 2 weeks to cut a check and mail it.

Discover IT $24K | FNBO Visa $20K | Citi Forward $12.5K | US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $10K | Priceline/Barclays $10K | Amazon/Chase Visa Sig $8.3k | Citi ThankYou Preferred $6.5K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Sallie Mae World MC/Barclays $5K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | Commerce Bank $5K | WF Cash Back Visa $3.6K | Amazon/GEMB $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | AMEX BCE $2K Target $1K | AMEX Green
EX FICO (from AMEX): 754, TU08 FICO (from Discover): 755, AAoA: 3.6 years
Valued Contributor
afbar1114
Posts: 2,177
Registered: ‎01-09-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!


andre181 wrote:

If the statement closes in 2 days, just do nothing.

 

When the return is credited to the account, no payment will be due (if this item was the only purchase). The only repercution is that a balance will report for the month. No big deal unless its a LARGE amount. The return should definitely be credited before the payment will be due, so just wait and pay nothing.

 

IMO, its really impractical to pay and then request a check. Most places take 2 weeks to cut a check and mail it.


Not true it depends on the bank. Amex will take it off the payment. But I have returned stuff before I paid it and I still needed to make the same payment they told me.

In my wallet: AMEX Gold; Freedom $1.5k; CSP $5k; Chase United $5k; Discover $2k
Last HP: 4/30
Regular Contributor
mkm77
Posts: 147
Registered: ‎08-25-2010
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!

Don't come after me with torches for my up-coming remark but is it really that big of a deal in ANY possible sense to just let a small balance post to the account? Again not coming down too hard but with all the issues many people have it seems like such an insignificant thing to even concern yourself with. Especially by paying something and then having the hassle of getting a check back? Unless you were planing on applying for something next month AND needed every possible point it should mean absolutely nothing.
Valued Contributor
jsickz32
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: Returned an Item, but statement closes in two days.... Paying question please help!


mkm77 wrote:
Don't come after me with torches for my up-coming remark but is it really that big of a deal in ANY possible sense to just let a small balance post to the account? Again not coming down too hard but with all the issues many people have it seems like such an insignificant thing to even concern yourself with. Especially by paying something and then having the hassle of getting a check back? Unless you were planing on applying for something next month AND needed every possible point it should mean absolutely nothing.

+1 unless we are talking about a big amount of money

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+