Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revenge Apps

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Revenge Apps

Anyone burned a CCC in the past be later applied and later got approved?

Long story short I had 120 lates from BofA in the past (not totaly my fault but I accept responsibility though).  A year ago I applied with them and go approved.  The card allows you to create virtual account numbers so you can limit the damage if the account number is hacked.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Revenge Apps

@marty56 wrote:

Long story short I had 120 lates from BofA in the past (not totaly my fault but I accept responsibility though).  A year ago I applied with them and go approved.  The card allows you to create virtual account numbers so you can limit the damage if the account number is hacked.

I would not conisder 120 day later burning anyone. But yes all my banks have let me back in.  Capital One even let me back in with their Charge-off showing on credit report.  

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One gave my husband a partially-secured card this summer (99/200) after having a CO with them in 2015. Discover, however, which he IIB, would not even give him a secured card. BofA gave me the 99/500 after I burned them twice on checking accounts years ago. (Just small amounts, but still.)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned both Citi and Cap1 in college and I have cards with both now. By the time I applied, the charge offs were no longer on my credit report. So maybe that made the difference?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

But it remains in their systems forever. They have forgiven you, but will never forget.
Message 5 of 9
Artemis092
Regular Contributor

I burned Chase 10 years ago for $1,000. They let me back and now I will forever be in their debt.  Lol.

If you build it, they will come.

Amex BCE | Amex ED | BofA Rewards | Citibank DC | CitiBank Best Buy | Discover IT | Chase Amazon Prime | Chase Freedom | Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 6 of 9
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

My brother burned Capital One for a $300 platinum just a few years ago. The chargeoff is still on his reports, but he recently reapplied with them and got another $300 platinum, which he has maxed out and not paid off at all. 

I'm done trying to help him fix his credit.

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Why "revenge apps"?   It seems that the examples are more forgiveness (from the issuer).

A good revenge app:  Bank X doesn't give you an CLI or APR reduction which you know you deserve, you app for another card, from them, charge it to the max and then disappear.   That will teach them!

Message 8 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Why "revenge apps"?   It seems that the examples are more forgiveness (from the issuer).

A good revenge app:  Bank X doesn't give you an CLI or APR reduction which you know you deserve, you app for another card, from them, charge it to the max and then disappear.   That will teach them!

Yeah, I also thought the title was odd. In my mind, "revenge apping" means bonus-chasing cards from a lender that's annoyed you (or otherwise being unprofitable for them).

Or, in the extreme, apping for a card from a lender you dislike to intentionally default on it later while "going out in style" before a BK.

* "Redemption Apps" would be a more accurate title for this thread.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.