Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverting from Chase Freedom EMV?

tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Reverting from Chase Freedom EMV?

Anyone have experience reverting this card from EMV back to regular card?

The EMV Freedom is literally the worst looking card. EMV chip is big and cheap looking and the chase logo on the right is gone. The card just looks terrible. I know it's a silly reason to not use a card but well...it definitely got SD'd once I got the EMV version. 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Reverting from Chase Freedom EMV?

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Anyone have experience reverting this card from EMV back to regular card?

The EMV Freedom is literally the worst looking card. EMV chip is big and cheap looking and the chase logo on the right is gone. The card just looks terrible. I know it's a silly reason to not use a card but well...it definitely got SD'd once I got the EMV version. 

Well, "eventually" all cards will have to be EMV, so reverting would be a temporary solution.

Message 2 of 33
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Once opting in for EMV you CAN NOT opt out
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 33
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

Kinda like freedom mastercards.... you can't avoid it. What a silly reason not to use a card...sigh..

Message 4 of 33
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You can't revert back to non-EMV card. Once EMV always EMV.

Furthermore there is no point, by 10/2015 liability shift will happen. At that point whoever doesn't adopt EMV will be the one assume the burden of fraud, and no way banks want that.

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

so what's gonna happen when all the card add EMV chips? I'm used to having EMV chip, so it doesn't bother me none.

Message 6 of 33
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I had not heard this before. Good to know. I like the idea of the EMV chip in every card. I like to have my information protected during each transaction. With all these data breaches..kinda scared to use my card! One of the reasons I switched from a "blink" Freedom card to a non-blink card.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I had not heard this before. Good to know. I like the idea of the EMV chip in every card. I like to have my information protected during each transaction. With all these data breaches..kinda scared to use my card! One of the reasons I switched from a "blink" Freedom card to a non-blink card.

The EMV chip doesn't do anything until all the retailers have EMV compatible terminals, and your information can still be at risk until the magnetic strip technology is eliminated. 

Message 8 of 33
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

The EMV chip doesn't do anything until all the retailers have EMV compatible terminals, and your information can still be at risk until the magnetic strip technology is eliminated. 

Really? I thought the EMV scrabbled your data when used during each transaction so that it would be harder to hack. Retail stores still need to have EMV terminals in order for this to be effective? Chip is useless then..

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maiden_girl wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Really? I thought the EMV scrabbled your data when used during each transaction so that it would be harder to hack. Retail stores still need to have EMV terminals in order for this to be effective? Chip is useless then..

EMV chip enabled card readers are the ones you put in vertical´(so the chip goes into the reader), not swipe like normal ones, I read walmart will roll out their card readers for EMV chip ready.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.