Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverting from Chase Freedom EMV?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Reverting from Chase Freedom EMV?

@nyancat wrote:
No because a copied chip card can't be swiped in a chip enabled reader at Wal-Mart or abroad.

RIght, but until all chase cards are chipped, it's  hard to make the case that the OPs card needs to remain chipped.   Having reverted, it's not different from OP not requesting it in the first place, so I agree "shock and horror" seems a little strong!   And the chipped card isn't even chip&pin, so security was never paramount.

Message 31 of 33
nyancat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:
No because a copied chip card can't be swiped in a chip enabled reader at Wal-Mart or abroad.

RIght, but until all chase cards are chipped, it's  hard to make the case that the OPs card needs to remain chipped.   Having reverted, it's not different from OP not requesting it in the first place, so I agree "shock and horror" seems a little strong!   And the chipped card isn't even chip&pin, so security was never paramount.

Edit - apparently my actual reply was missing. And my reply was simple. In today's environment, any move backward on security by a bank is both shocking and horrid.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 32 of 33
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

Edit - apparently my actual reply was missing. And my reply was simple. In today's environment, any move backward on security by a bank is both shocking and horrid.

I do understand the OP not liking the Freedom with the EMV because I also like the way my cards look to go along with the rewards.  I don't know if I would have gotten it changed after I already received it after all it is just a Freedom card.  No one is going to be wowed with the Freedom whichever you have.  I have the non emv and nobody has ever said anything about it and 99.9% of the timeit is in my wallet.  Once I think for the CSP.

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.