Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisiting my plans, one last time

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Revisiting my plans, one last time

Hi everyone,

I want to revisit my plans, one last time, because a few things have changed.

Accounts:

BofA 1-2-3, 6k/10.99 (6/10)

Citi Dividend 6k/12.24 (6/10)

Discover More 3.25k/12.99 (1/11)

Amex BCE 2k/19.24 (9/11)

Chase Freedom 7k/17.99 (1/12)

What is my best bet?  I want to use only either 1 or 2 cards as primary, keep one as a backup, and SD the other two.  (I can't be bothered keeping all cards active).

My initial strategy was get pretty good rewards across the cards with the best terms, which would be the following:

PLAN A

BofA for ALL charges, 2% groceries and 3% gas 6 months of the year, Discover for 5% (6 months gas), ShopDiscover, and 2% BDay month.

I would then convert Citi to a non-rewards card, and keep it as a backup, use once every 3 months.  I'd then have a good 3 card profile:

2 low APR rewards card

1 low APR non-rewards backup

I've thought of few others now:

PLAN B

Use Amex as primary, BofA where it isn't taken and for gas (3% vs 2%).  This would cover all but dining for my most spent categories (wish I could throw a Sapphire in there, but oh well...).  Then keep Citi as a backup as stated above.

PLAN C

Use Chase for 1% and 5%, and Amex for 2% and 3%, keep BofA as my backup.

PLAN D

Use Chase as my only card, and keep Amex as my wallet backup and BofA as my home backup.

Thoughts?  I feel most comofrtable with Plan A, but I just feel like I may be losing on better rewards with Chase and not utilizing an Amex relationship.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: Revisiting my plans, one last time

the amex bce should b ready for a 3x cli to 6k right now

Message 2 of 21
smc733
Valued Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

Got a flat denial when I tried last month.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

Got a flat denial when I tried last month.

Were you told why?

Message 4 of 21
dalebb
Valued Contributor

thats odd,, pls tell why

Message 5 of 21
smc733
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Were you told why?

Insufficient time with an American Express card, and reasons similar to that.  I didn't use the card a lot and my income is only 15k.  (Student)

Message 6 of 21
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Were you told why?

Insufficient time with an American Express card, and reasons similar to that.  I didn't use the card a lot and my income is only 15k.  (Student)

ahhhh

Message 7 of 21
CS800
Super Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Were you told why?

The insufficient time with AMEX one is bogus since you see a lot of 61 day CLI's. A lot of them first time AMEX holders.

Dale, did you have an AMEX before the Blue? You do backdate to 2010 so I assume yes?

Message 8 of 21
smc733
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Were you told why?

The insufficient time with AMEX one is bogus since you see a lot of 61 day CLI's. A lot of them first time AMEX holders.

Dale, did you have an AMEX before the Blue? You do backdate to 2010 so I assume yes?

It is bogus, I'm almost sure it is income related.

Anyone have an idea which plan I should go with?

Message 9 of 21
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Were you told why?

yeah i had the zync for a year,,, main card

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.