Did you mean: 

Revolvers increasing your spending?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Revolvers increasing your spending?

@Fico2Go wrote:

Two questions:

1)  Some people claim you can use mileage to pay for part of the airfare.  How does that work?  

2)  Do airlines clearly mark how many mileages are needed for all flights?

1)  You can, but it's carrier dependent.  And, when available, invariably it isn't a very good value proposition.  This isn't something I've done, but there may be some Airlines where this may be a good idea.

2)  Yes, some will vary during seasons, while others will be a static rate.  For example, UA redemptions for certain routes will be "X" miles, regardless of peak season or not. This is why sometimes miles redemptions will be more cost effective than paying a "peak" season fare.  SW has set rate for regular and wanna-get-away fares, regardless of season.

Using miles isn't always cheaper, but they usually are for int'l and peak season flights.  

Message 41 of 43
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Two questions:

1)  Some people claim you can use mileage to pay for part of the airfare.  How does that work?  

2)  Do airlines clearly mark how many mileages are needed for all flights?

Using miles isn't always cheaper, but they usually are for int'l and peak season flights.  

Thanks again. 

My last experience with mileage traveling was 7 years ago when I was able to round trip FF Northwest Airline ( now Delta ) from Minneapolis to Bangkok Thailand for 60,000 miles.  Standard coach was going for $900. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 42 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

Thanks again. 

My last experience with mileage traveling was 7 years ago when I was able to round trip FF Northwest Airline ( now Delta ) from Minneapolis to Bangkok Thailand for 60,000 miles.  Standard coach was going for $900. 

No problem.

Before the widespread devalutions, one of the best values were transfer these points to FF programs to redeem for off peak business class flights.  For example, on UA, a business class flight to SE Asian would cost approx $3k - $4k, but you could redeem it for about 110,000 Miles (UR Points); even better, when available, you can use another 20,0000 miles to upgrade it to first class. 

Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.