Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reward cards.Options overwhelming

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Reward cards.Options overwhelming

Now I have reward cards the prospect of getting most out of them is a little overwhelming.  (First, the rewards are a far second.  I want to use these cards to better my scores and credit report but don't want to leave money on the tree so to speak.)

Reward cards I have now and looking for suggestions on how to use:

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs)

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa

AMEX Delta skymiles

Chase Freedom

Walmart Discover

Thanks,

Duncan

How would yall use?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming

@Duncanrr wrote:

Now I have reward cards the prospect of getting most out of them is a little overwhelming.  (First, the rewards are a far second.  I want to use these cards to better my scores and credit report but don't want to leave money on the tree so to speak.)

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs) - Also restaurants since you got the pack, and shopping at their green stores (I think whole foods is one of them if you happen to shop there) 

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa - Restaurants drug stores and gas are 2% I think, amazon is 3%, with 1% everything else.  

AMEX Delta skymiles  - I would use this for everything else, if you got a promo offer make sure you hit spend requirement to get it Smiley Very Happy 

Chase Freedom - Whatever the 5% categories happen to be, obviously

Walmart Discover - If I'm correct this is a 1% everything card, so use whenever you don't either want to use the others, or if you don't get bonuses on the others (also remember if you have a walmart or affiliated gas station near you you get like 15 cents off every gallon now until october or something (normally 5 cents I think) and you also get cash back at walmart w/o a cash advance fee. 

Thanks,

Duncan

How would yall use?

That's how I would do it....not sure if others agree or not Smiley Tongue 

Message 2 of 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for info and suggestions.  Any others are welcomed to chime in.

Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs) - Also restaurants since you got the pack, and shopping at their green stores (I think whole foods is one of them if you happen to shop there) 

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa - Restaurants drug stores and gas are 2% I think, amazon is 3%, with 1% everything else.  

AMEX Delta skymiles  - I would use this for everything else, if you got a promo offer make sure you hit spend requirement to get it Smiley Very Happy 

Chase Freedom - Whatever the 5% categories happen to be, obviously

Walmart Discover - If I'm correct this is a 1% everything card, so use whenever you don't either want to use the others, or if you don't get bonuses on the others (also remember if you have a walmart or affiliated gas station near you you get like 15 cents off every gallon now until october or something (normally 5 cents I think) and you also get cash back at walmart w/o a cash advance fee. 

Thanks,

Duncan

How would yall use?

That's how I would do it....not sure if others agree or not Smiley Tongue 

I agree with this plan. The WM Discover is kind of the mutt in the litter tho.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

My take, based on the assumption you still plan to try for csp next year: freedom for rotating categories and anything not covered by bonuses on other cards. they will convert to ur points when you get csp, and ur points are worth more than amazon pts or delta miles. Use delta card for delta flights and to make the $500 spend requirement. Use zync for phone, anything on the Eco list and restaurants that take Amex. Use amazon for amazon, gas, drug stores and restaurants that don't take Amex. I guess use the Walmart card at Walmart? Or for a tiny recurring charge like Netflix so it stays open.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

My take, based on the assumption you still plan to try for csp next year: freedom for rotating categories and anything not covered by bonuses on other cards. they will convert to ur points when you get csp, and ur points are worth more than Amazon pts or delta miles. Use delta card for delta flights and to make the $500 spend requirement. Use zync for phone, anything on the Eco list and restaurants that take Amex. Use Amazon for Amazon, gas, drug stores and restaurants that don't take Amex. I guess use the Walmart card at Walmart? Or for a tiny recurring charge like Netflix so it stays open.

This is what I'm thinking now: (yes still shooting for CSP and probably BCE next year)

Walmart - gas if Im around a Walmart gas station and some groceries from time to time
Amex Delta - flights and paying my various insurances (I want to setup for BCE at some point or another AMEX revolver)

Amex Zync - cell phone and cable bills (I have family plan on cell so between that and cable I'll push almost 500/month through) eco and restaurants some

Amazon - shopping items online

Freedom - rotating categories  (The next one is hotels I think which is good as I'll be traveling a lot in the next quarter)

My goal is to push the following amounts through each card every month:

Walmart - 400 to 500

Delta - 500 plus my flight expenses (which will be significant this quarter)

Zync - 750-1000

Amazon - 400

Freedom - 1000 plus hotel expenses this quarter (I'll have to make multiple payments during the month as my hotel expenses alone will be 3k-5k/month)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.