Reply
Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,843
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Reward cards.Options overwhelming

Now I have reward cards the prospect of getting most out of them is a little overwhelming.  (First, the rewards are a far second.  I want to use these cards to better my scores and credit report but don't want to leave money on the tree so to speak.)

 

Reward cards I have now and looking for suggestions on how to use:

 

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs)

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa

AMEX Delta skymiles

Chase Freedom

Walmart Discover

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

Duncan

 

 

How would yall use?



Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,612
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming


Duncanrr wrote:

Now I have reward cards the prospect of getting most out of them is a little overwhelming.  (First, the rewards are a far second.  I want to use these cards to better my scores and credit report but don't want to leave money on the tree so to speak.)

 

Reward cards I have now and looking for suggestions on how to use:

 

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs) - Also restaurants since you got the pack, and shopping at their green stores (I think whole foods is one of them if you happen to shop there) 

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa - Restaurants drug stores and gas are 2% I think, amazon is 3%, with 1% everything else.  

AMEX Delta skymiles  - I would use this for everything else, if you got a promo offer make sure you hit spend requirement to get it :smileyvery-happy: 

Chase Freedom - Whatever the 5% categories happen to be, obviously

Walmart Discover - If I'm correct this is a 1% everything card, so use whenever you don't either want to use the others, or if you don't get bonuses on the others (also remember if you have a walmart or affiliated gas station near you you get like 15 cents off every gallon now until october or something (normally 5 cents I think) and you also get cash back at walmart w/o a cash advance fee. 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

Duncan

 

 

How would yall use?


That's how I would do it....not sure if others agree or not :smileytongue: 

Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,843
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming

Thanks for info and suggestions.  Any others are welcomed to chime in.



Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming


jsucool76 wrote:

Duncanrr wrote:

Now I have reward cards the prospect of getting most out of them is a little overwhelming.  (First, the rewards are a far second.  I want to use these cards to better my scores and credit report but don't want to leave money on the tree so to speak.)

 

Reward cards I have now and looking for suggestions on how to use:

 

AMEX Zync (connect, restaurant, eco and finance packs) - Also restaurants since you got the pack, and shopping at their green stores (I think whole foods is one of them if you happen to shop there) 

Chase Amazon Rewards Visa - Restaurants drug stores and gas are 2% I think, amazon is 3%, with 1% everything else.  

AMEX Delta skymiles  - I would use this for everything else, if you got a promo offer make sure you hit spend requirement to get it :smileyvery-happy: 

Chase Freedom - Whatever the 5% categories happen to be, obviously

Walmart Discover - If I'm correct this is a 1% everything card, so use whenever you don't either want to use the others, or if you don't get bonuses on the others (also remember if you have a walmart or affiliated gas station near you you get like 15 cents off every gallon now until october or something (normally 5 cents I think) and you also get cash back at walmart w/o a cash advance fee. 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

Duncan

 

 

How would yall use?


That's how I would do it....not sure if others agree or not :smileytongue: 


I agree with this plan. The WM Discover is kind of the mutt in the litter tho.

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Contributor
Cdnewmanpac
Posts: 767
Registered: ‎01-16-2012
0

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming

My take, based on the assumption you still plan to try for csp next year: freedom for rotating categories and anything not covered by bonuses on other cards. they will convert to ur points when you get csp, and ur points are worth more than amazon pts or delta miles. Use delta card for delta flights and to make the $500 spend requirement. Use zync for phone, anything on the Eco list and restaurants that take Amex. Use amazon for amazon, gas, drug stores and restaurants that don't take Amex. I guess use the Walmart card at Walmart? Or for a tiny recurring charge like Netflix so it stays open.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,843
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Re: Reward cards.Options overwhelming


Cdnewmanpac wrote:

My take, based on the assumption you still plan to try for csp next year: freedom for rotating categories and anything not covered by bonuses on other cards. they will convert to ur points when you get csp, and ur points are worth more than Amazon pts or delta miles. Use delta card for delta flights and to make the $500 spend requirement. Use zync for phone, anything on the Eco list and restaurants that take Amex. Use Amazon for Amazon, gas, drug stores and restaurants that don't take Amex. I guess use the Walmart card at Walmart? Or for a tiny recurring charge like Netflix so it stays open.


This is what I'm thinking now: (yes still shooting for CSP and probably BCE next year)

 

Walmart - gas if Im around a Walmart gas station and some groceries from time to time
Amex Delta - flights and paying my various insurances (I want to setup for BCE at some point or another AMEX revolver)

Amex Zync - cell phone and cable bills (I have family plan on cell so between that and cable I'll push almost 500/month through) eco and restaurants some

Amazon - shopping items online

Freedom - rotating categories  (The next one is hotels I think which is good as I'll be traveling a lot in the next quarter)

 

 

My goal is to push the following amounts through each card every month:

Walmart - 400 to 500

Delta - 500 plus my flight expenses (which will be significant this quarter)

Zync - 750-1000

Amazon - 400

Freedom - 1000 plus hotel expenses this quarter (I'll have to make multiple payments during the month as my hotel expenses alone will be 3k-5k/month)

 



Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}