Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards: Amex or NFCU?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Rewards: Amex or NFCU?

I have an Amex Green as well as a NFCU Cashrewards. I also run a business and have been putting some of my business expenses on the Amex which typically results in 10-15k in points each month. I'm also starting to put the purchases of one of our suppliers on the Green and that'll be $8k or so per month. Given these two CCs, would it be better to keep on with the purchases on the Green or shift to the NFCU? What would you do? Is there a better card to use (not looking to app though....got myself in a credit straightjacket at the halfway house formerly known as the Concorduser Center).

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rewards: Amex or NFCU?

Well, I don't have Amex Green ... can you tell me what you can redeem for with Amex Green pts?   Are those items are useful to you?  I will compare which one would benefit you more and charge to one gives you most of it.

Message 2 of 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Rewards: Amex or NFCU?

Membership Rewards points are most valuable when transferred into frequent flier programs and redeemed for airline travel.  Particularly for last-minute travel, or premium international travel.  What is NFCU's reward program?  Is it cash back?  If you're not interested in the travel redemption for MR points, you're probably better with cash back.  MR points can be redeemed for gift cards, but it's at a straight 1% rate, and that's only if you redeem for certain merchants, restaurants, etc..  If you want to redeem MR points for Amex general purpose gift cards, the redemption rate sucks.  I think it is .5%. 

At your level of spend, you could redeem your MR points for some pretty nice international business class seats fairly frequently. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.