Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards Being Decreased?

tag
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

Rewards Being Decreased?

I've been going back and forth between rewards cards over the past few days and I think I've settled on the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express Card as being the best for me. The thing is, I'd like this to be the last credit card I apply for, at least for the next 5-10 years. I already have my low interest USAA and NFCU cards so I'm set there.

How often do companies decrease the rewards being offered for a certain card? And if they do decrease benefits, or if they cancel the card all together, does that affect people who already own the card? Or do you generally get grandfathered in?

Also, what are the chances that the reward card competition heats up over the next year or two. Would it be worth waiting to settle on a rewards card?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rewards Being Decreased?

@JABacchetta wrote:

I've been going back and forth between rewards cards over the past few days and I think I've settled on the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express Card as being the best for me. The thing is, I'd like this to be the last credit card I apply for, at least for the next 5-10 years. I already have my low interest USAA and NFCU cards so I'm set there.

How often do companies decrease the rewards being offered for a certain card? And if they do decrease benefits, or if they cancel the card all together, does that affect people who already own the card? Or do you generally get grandfathered in?

Also, what are the chances that the reward card competition heats up over the next year or two. Would it be worth waiting to settle on a rewards card?

It really depends on the creditor. The Fidelity card has been around for awhile but I'd be worried since it is now issued by FIA Card Services aka BofA. FIA used to issue the Charles Schwab 2% Visa until they axed it last year and converted everyone over to BankAmericard Cash Rewards, while not a bad card is no where near the Schwab. To me the creditor is equally as important as the rewards, since the latter can change but with a good creditor you build a long term relationship with CLIs, APR reductions, and the ability to move around credit lines and product change.

Message 2 of 4
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

Ahh, yeah that does make me hesitate. They'll likely axe the Fidelity one too then. I was almost settled on the new Penfed Platinum Rewards card, but they decreased the benefits on their cash rewards card... so who knows if they'll do the same with this new card.

Maybe I should just settle with one of the Chase Sapphire or the AmEx Blue Cash cards. Just bugs me that they have upgraded annual fee versions. I know the math ends up paying for itself, but I absolutely hate knowing that I'll be paying for a card.

And then the other thing on my mind is whether I should only be looking at either an AmEx or a Visa Signature for the concierge services, since I only have a regular Visa and MC at the moment. But my NFCU Visa Platinum offers concierge... so maybe I don't need the others....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JABacchetta wrote:

Ahh, yeah that does make me hesitate. They'll likely axe the Fidelity one too then. I was almost settled on the new Penfed Platinum Rewards card, but they decreased the benefits on their cash rewards card... so who knows if they'll do the same with this new card.

Maybe I should just settle with one of the Chase Sapphire or the AmEx Blue Cash cards. Just bugs me that they have upgraded annual fee versions. I know the math ends up paying for itself, but I absolutely hate knowing that I'll be paying for a card.

And then the other thing on my mind is whether I should only be looking at either an AmEx or a Visa Signature for the concierge services, since I only have a regular Visa and MC at the moment. But my NFCU Visa Platinum offers concierge... so maybe I don't need the others....

I think the Fidelity Amex has a better chance of survival simply b/c it is processed on the Amex network. The higher interchange fee helps to offset the loss to BofA associated with the 2% rewards. Keep in mind even though its an Amex it is not issued directly by them so it doesn't qualify for some of the benefits typical of Amex cards. If you're considering customer service, its also not Amex its BofA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.