Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards help, please.

tag
martinkk
Contributor

Rewards help, please.

I'm cashing in some rewards points to buy an iPad for a graduation gift for a relative. Can I use the points I have to get Bet Buy gift cards, use my Best Buy card to buy the iPad, (so I get the 5%), and then use the Best Buy gift cards to pay the Best Buy credit card bill?  Or do I have to use the gift cards to purchase the iPad and bypass my BB account completely. I'd sure like to get that 5%!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rewards help, please.

don't you only get reward certificates, if so those can only be used to purcahse products, you can not use them to buy gift cards or as payment on the account.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 2 of 9
martinkk
Contributor

I don't think so. I've never cashed any in, though, so i'm not sure but the rewards site lists them as 'Gift Cards.' Its a local bank in our area, so not a really widespread program.

Message 3 of 9
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I am pretty sure if you read the gift cards they say "cannot be used to pay bills" etc... 

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 9
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Ok i thought you were using the rewards from the best buy card, sounds like you are getting the rewards from your local bank so they are just giving you best buy gift cards. unfort it sounds like you wont get the 5% if you use your best buy card because on the site it says under Non-Qualifying Purchases

purchases paid with a reward certificate or Best Buy Gift Card, and you wouldn't be able to use gc's to pay your bestbuy card bill.  i would suggest use your gift cards if thats not enough to cover the cost of the ipad use the card that you earned the points from to cover the amt you need to pay out of pocket.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 5 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Do you have to take your rewards as bb gift cards? Can you not get cash? Why not use bb card for ipad then pay bill with cash?
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 9
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
Do you have to take your rewards as bb gift cards? Can you not get cash? Why not use bb card for ipad then pay bill with cash?

+1

Did you just ask if you could pay your credit card bill with gift cards?

Smiley Wink

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 7 of 9
martinkk
Contributor

They finally opened so I could call them. Cash or check only. No gift cards for payments.  Thanks for your help, everyone.

Message 8 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Can't you get the rewards cash mailed to you as a check? That way you can deposit it and use it to PIF your BB bill.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.