Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rewards

Okay, I don't get the rewards thing.

I don't want rewards that require me to spend $10 that I wouldn't otherwise spend in order to be rewarded with $1!

I recently took the time to look at the rewards on my Citi card and I don't want to buy any of that stuff!  I have a Discover and it tells me I've got $30 of rewards coming but it never seems to show up.

And not only that, all this rewards stuff takes time to manage, track, etc.

So, how do you rewards wizards out there actually make the program work for you?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Re: Rewards

I spend $10 on something I know I already have to spend on (e.g., utility payments, food, gas, etc.) and PIF at the end of the month. I repeat the process for several to many months. Then I go out and buy a really big HD TV. Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't want rewards that require me to spend $10 that I wouldn't otherwise spend in order to be rewarded with $1!

I recently took the time to look at the rewards on my Citi card and I don't want to buy any of that stuff!  I have a Discover and it tells me I've got $30 of rewards coming but it never seems to show up.

And not only that, all this rewards stuff takes time to manage, track, etc.

So, how do you rewards wizards out there actually make the program work for you?

Message 2 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What rewards require you to do that?  Secondly, what card do you have that gives 10% cashback? Smiley Tongue

I don't see what you're complaining about, if you don't want to worry with rewards then don't.  It's not that complicated, just use your rewards card as if it were a debit card.  You have to buy stuff, right?  So buy it with the credit card and pay it off each month.  You will accumulate rewards for the things you're already buying.  I just re-read my Discover card contract and nowhere does it say that I have to spend money on things I wasn't already going to buy to get rewards.

Now because you said you spend $10 and get $1 back, I assume you may be talking about those services like ShopDiscover.  You don't have to use that to get rewards.  If I want to buy something, and if i remember to do it, I try to check the vendors on ShopDiscover to see if I can get it anywhere that offers a high cashback reward i.e. 10-20% instead of the 1% I'd get in the store.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

thrasher865, I think I know which rewards program Jack's talking about...and it does suck, IMO.

It's the Citi Extracash program.  You'll get 10% rewards in Citicash, which is only spendable on the items offered in that program.  The items available usually are offered for X amount of real dollars (charged to your Citi card), plus X amount of Citicash.  

For example, there may be a twenty dollar item available to you for $8.00 in real money plus $12 in Citicash.  Personally, I haven't used even one dollar of my Citicash.  I don't see anything they have that I'd want, not for plus any real money anyways.  But opinions vary, and I guess some of these things are just fine...for somebody else.

I do work the rewards programs on other cards to best advantage, though.  I'm going to spend the money anyways, might as well get some of it back in the rewards.  It amazes me sometime to see how they accumulate.  It amazes me (scares me, really) even more to think of the money I've spent to get those points...

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got a rewards card and I can never get the link to it.

Consequently I haven't used it.Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget "rewards" cards. You're usually much better off with a good cashback card like Fidelity AMEX ( 2%) or PenFed Visa (5% gas, 2% groceries, 1% everything else) or AMEX BLUE CASH (if you're a heavy spender).

Good Luck,

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it came with my favorite card CCCU.  I wonder

if they know you can't get in touch with this rewards

company.  Maybe I should call them????

Message 7 of 8
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Forget "rewards" cards. You're usually much better off with a good cashback card like Fidelity AMEX ( 2%) or PenFed Visa (5% gas, 2% groceries, 1% everything else) or AMEX BLUE CASH (if you're a heavy spender).

Good Luck,

LustForTheMoment:

What do you consider a heavy spender? I have my eye on this card and would run 20K - 25K on this card. Is that enough to make it worthwhile? I understand the rewards go up significantly after spending 6.5K.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.