Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riddle me this Amex back dating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Riddle me this Amex back dating

Amex offered me the Oasis Optima last April and I jumoed on the chance. Been using the card and paying monthly. Riddle me this: Once I get to next April and app for any one of the full fledged Amex cards, will Amex back date new cards to orginal 1990 Membership date? Here's why I'm aksing: My Optima card says member since 2016. When I log into my Amex account or check balance or pay online it says member since 1990.

Anyone with recent experince that can enlighten me?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Riddle me this Amex back dating

Sadly, it used to be that you would get another "born in 1990" card reported on your credit report when apping with AMEX. That is no longer the case.

The 'Member Since" on the face of your card is indeed when your relationship with AMEX started.

The "Card Opening" date on your credit report, for new AMEX cards, is now the true date you opened the card, not backdated for credit reporting purposes.

Hang on to that 1990 card. Nice age to that one!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Hang on to that 1990 card. Nice age to that one!

I think OP only has the 2016  one (for age purposses)

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same deal here. 

I was just approved for the Amex BCP, and I defaulted many years ago.

IDK what the card will say when it arrives, but when I log in to my acct, it reads MEMBER SINCE 1988.

I guess I'll have to wait for Amex's first reporting to find out...

Anyone????

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Same deal here. 

IDK what the card will say when it arrives, but when I log in to my acct, it reads MEMBER SINCE 1988.

Anyone????

You don't need to wait.  It will not report to the credit bureaus as opening in 1988.  It will say opened in 2016.  Whatever it says on the card or on the web site is meaningless.  Amex stopped backdating to credit bureaus almost two years ago and nothing has changed.

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Same deal here. 

Anyone????

You don't need to wait.  It will not report to the credit bureaus as opening in 1988.  It will say opened in 2016.  Whatever it says on the card or on the web site is meaningless.  Amex stopped backdating to credit bureaus almost two years ago and nothing has changed.

Yes, I guess some people still hold out hope!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure the thread right next to this discussed this very topic:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-member-since-question/td-p/4815948

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Looking more carefully through my reports, I see something I hadn't really thought about.

I oepned an Amex in 2007.  In 2009, I applied for a new Amex, and they pointed out that I hadn't been using the other card, so they closed that and gave me the new one, as a new account.     On my CR, the card they closed shows an open date of 2007, the card that replaced it is backdated to 1987 (when I had my first Amex)

So I wonder if they adjusted the open date to the actual open  when they closed the card, or if the first  card was never backdated because (as I didn't know about it), I never asked.....

Message 8 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Looking more carefully through my reports, I see something I hadn't really thought about.

I oepned an Amex in 2007.  In 2009, I applied for a new Amex, and they pointed out that I hadn't been using the other card, so they closed that and gave me the new one, as a new account.     On my CR, the card they closed shows an open date of 2007, the card that replaced it is backdated to 1987 (when I had my first Amex)

So I wonder if they adjusted the open date to the actual open  when they closed the card, or if the first  card was never backdated because (as I didn't know about it), I never asked.....

That would be my guess... lot of threads from when it was still around of people having to call in to get their Member Since date corrected (in our small niche population) so presumably it happened to a lot of folks.

Backdating, oh how we miss thee.

        
Message 9 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, the backdating ship has sailed on, at least in terms of your CRs.  The web site and cards may use the correct MSD, but this no longer has any bearing on the opening date reported.   That's a shame, since it would make AMEX a lot more attractive.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.