Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risk of an Amex FR for rapid spend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Risk of an Amex FR for rapid spend

DW has $15K limit   After 2 weeks of having it she had 2 transactions for $10K. She paid $5 K the same day it posted. NO fr. 

Message 11 of 16
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

I think it will be just fine.  If you are really worried about it, jump on chat or give them a call and just let them know.  I have done this a couple of times with no issue!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 12 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

3k rapid spend espeilaly if Amex knows who you are they won't blink an eye as long as your income supports it along with other things.. Amex likes big spend as that is their intended audience or at least use to be..  I put 6-7k spend on my SPG business Amex in about 35 days without an issue and my normal spend on Amex is around 300-500 a month recently on other cards.

Message 13 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

silly

spending 25% of your credit limit isn't going to freak them out even if you were new, but you are not new, you have an existing relationship with them. If you other cards have low balances everything will be fine. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 14 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

OP, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  My first SPG charge alone was for well over the $5,000 required to meet both my 25k and 10k bonuses in one fell swoop.  I've run my charge cards up well into 5 digits in a month several times without them batting an eye.  As long as your income supports your ability to pay them back, they are happy to let you use your cards.  If it's obvious that you are purchasing a lot of cash analogues, that may set off some red flags, however.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're being silly! I don't see there being any issue at all. I put that tyoe of spend through my Amex when I first got it and no one batted an eye. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.