Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton Metal Card

tag
lostsols
Valued Member

Re: Ritz Carlton Metal Card

I've purchased from both delta and southwest.  No problems whatsoever on reimbursements.  Not sure about other airlines, but I highly doubt they'd be treated any differently by Chase.  They're not trying to be hard a**es.  It's an upper tier card geared toward an upper tier customer, so they want you to be happy.  You just need to play the game.

Message 41 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lostsols wrote:

The terms and conditions do not allow for gift card reimbursement.  But the reimbursement process is incredibly informal.  You just call the exec line, tell them you want $X remibursed for a specific purchase, and they generally reimburse without asking questions.  The key is to make purchases that are reasonably small (like equivalent to baggage fees).  If you drop like a hundy plus on a single purchase, and then try to get reimbursed, the rep is likely to ask questions or push back.  Hope that helps.

$100 souldnt be questioned.  There are seat upgrades that cost that much and I've had no problem with that amount.  I think it's more likely to be questioned when you get to $200 or more.  And as Medo says not any gift card is going to fly even if the anoint is low.  They have Level 3 reporting for United and Southwest  and see exactly what the purchase is for.  It's different for other airlines.

Message 42 of 58
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@lostsols wrote:

The terms and conditions do not allow for gift card reimbursement.  But the reimbursement process is incredibly informal.  You just call the exec line, tell them you want $X remibursed for a specific purchase, and they generally reimburse without asking questions.  The key is to make purchases that are reasonably small (like equivalent to baggage fees).  If you drop like a hundy plus on a single purchase, and then try to get reimbursed, the rep is likely to ask questions or push back.  Hope that helps.

Good info, how much are checked bags? I haven't needed to check in bags since back before 9/11/2001 when things were free and flying was simple. 

Message 43 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lostsols wrote:

I've purchased from both delta and southwest.  No problems whatsoever on reimbursements.  Not sure about other airlines, but I highly doubt they'd be treated any differently by Chase.  They're not trying to be hard a**es.  It's an upper tier card geared toward an upper tier customer, so they want you to be happy.  You just need to play the game.

There have been many reported denials for SW and United gift cards.  As I mentioned above they have different reporting levels for those two airlines. They are treated differently

Message 44 of 58
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lostsols wrote:

$100 souldnt be questioned.  There are seat upgrades that cost that much and I've had no problem with that amount.  I think it's more likely to be questioned when you get to $200 or more.  And as Medo says not any gift card is going to fly even if the anoint is low.  They have Level 3 reporting for United and Southwest  and see exactly what the purchase is for.  It's different for other airlines.

I know this is off-topic but have you used the credit with your Amex Platinum? Any experience with gift cards?

Message 45 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

@lostsols wrote:

Good info, how much are checked bags? I haven't needed to check in bags since back before 9/11/2001 when things were free and flying was simple. 

They vary but typically around $35-50. Your better option is to claim the charge as a seat upgrade which tends to be more expensive.  $100 charge isn't going to be questioned for that.

Message 46 of 58
medo
Frequent Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

@medo wrote:

Certain gift cards.  Chase is able to see the type of purchase when using United or SWA.  Delta is iffy.  AA is good.  Not sure about any others.

I've been trying to figure out which airline to use my amex plat credit with for the longest, I missed out last year. Since I have the Aviator card I guess I can try AA if it applies there too. Any experience with that?

Nope, I'm a new card member for the Ritz Carlton and have not tested it yet.  And not a member at all for the AMEX Plat.  Probably going to actually cancel my BCE and ED cards by the end of the year.  Not a fan of AMEX.

Message 47 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lostsols wrote:

I know this is off-topic but have you used the credit with your Amex Platinum? Any experience with gift cards?

You don't have to worry about it with the Platinum card as much.  They do a straight reimbursement after the charge is posted.  You don't have to call in and the reimbursement is very quick.  Least it was in my case.  

Message 48 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you can't just call for a reimbursement for an airline ticket thats $300 or under? IT has to be for smaller purchases like checked bags and so fourth with the RITZ?

Message 49 of 58
jsucool76
Super Contributor

it needs to be for an incidental purchase. the specifics are all laid out. checked bags, drinks, food (on the plane), airline lounge daily pass or yearly membership, stuff like that.
Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.