Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton if u stay at Marriott Mostly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ritz Carlton if u stay at Marriott Mostly

Is the Ritz Carlton card a good card to get instead of the AMEX Platinum since Marriott owns Ritz and the points could go to your Marriott account if you're in the Marriott Rewards program?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Ritz Carlton if u stay at Marriott Mostly

I have been debating this exact question. I have the Marriott card and that is where I usually stay. But, moving up to the Ritz seems like a plausible idea. I look forward to thoughts from others.

Message 2 of 28
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I have the Ritz but mostly stay at Marriott. I only stay a couple dozen nights a year so the Gold status provided by the Ritz card pays for a lot of breakfasts. The free upgraded wifi is nice as well.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

In considering the Marriott and Ritz cards, be aware of the "no man's land" properties: high category, limited service hotels in excellent areas.

You can't use the annual night at them, and the Ritz perks usually won't do much.

I'm very much a "simple room in a great location" person, so I have the IHG card, and also loaded up on Wyndham points from USTA (and have my eye out for a Wyndham Visa promo).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know th Ritz has the $300 travel credit which can be used on more things than the $200 amex platinum such as lounges and wifi on board airplanes. but the priorty lounge access along with centurion is better than the Lounge Access offered by the Ritz and the AF isn't as much.  I was mainly looking for a "premium" travle card that give me more benefits than the CSP that I got a few months ago. Thats why I was looking at the Plat. amex and the ritz card. If i can get benefits and it's a hotel chain a staty with alot, then win win.  I also have the amex PRG and kinda wanna keep it rather than upgrad to plat.  AMEX Plat $450, PRG $195 and Ritz $395 could you imagine

Message 5 of 28
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

For perks the Ritz is better. For earning and elite, the Marriott Card is better. Ritz only gives you gold the first year. You have to spend 10k a year after that to keep it.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserved and got the 7-10 day denial. (if you get that its almost always a denial....or so I thought).  5/24 rule sucks.  But then I rememberd that some cards don't fall under the 5/24 rule (IHG, Hyatt(apped for that one 7/16 with approval), British Airways, and Ritz Carlton. Apped for the Ritz since I've benn eyeing that card and for the perks and the metal card and I didn't want to waste a credit pull from Chase.  Ended up getting the same 7-10 day message but checked my accout and to my surprise I was approved for the Visa Infinite at $10,000!!! So far my highes limit, APR sucks just like on my Sapphire that I got earlier this year though. The Hyatt apr is lower than both.  I'm wondering why I have a lower apr on the Hyatt than the Ritz and Sapphire cards???

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I for one LOVE my Ritz card. It has given me a Ritz-Carlton suite ie the presidential suite. I was given a $2500 a night suite for $300 not to bad seeing I'm not rich.
If you could pair your Ritz with a points card you would be doing great.
We have 3 premium cards now
1 Ritz-Carlton
2 CSR
3 Citi Prestige
As long as you stay 3 or 4 nights a year at the Ritz-Carlton the card is more than worth it.
And now the new benefit of $100 coach credit is awesome.
Message 8 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Huge proponent of the ritz card here.

You can check my breakdown of card benefits and the marriott rewards program here (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-Rewards-an...)

I rarely stay at ritz hotels, but the signup bonus for the ritz now (3 free night tier 1-4) is fantastic. Easily over $1000.

Gold status from the card is invaluable in my opinion. Free breakfast alone can pay for the annual fee depending on where you're staying. You'll get free breakfast anyways at certain hotels (Fairfield, Residence Inn, Springhill, Towneplace Suites) but breakfast at a marriott, or JW, or rennaissance, or autograph collection hotel can easily be $30-$50 a person, and you get it for 2 people, daily (with a few exceptions) .

I personally think it is one of the better cards out there, especially with the new benefits (global entry, $100 airline discount, etc)

If you have any specific questions about the card, i'm happy to answer them. I'll try to keep tabs on this thread, but if I take too long, shoot me a PM.
Message 9 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know th Ritz has the $300 travel credit which can be used on more things than the $200 amex platinum such as lounges and wifi on board airplanes. but the priorty lounge access along with centurion is better than the Lounge Access offered by the Ritz and the AF isn't as much.  I was mainly looking for a "premium" travle card that give me more benefits than the CSP that I got a few months ago. Thats why I was looking at the Plat. amex and the ritz card. If i can get benefits and it's a hotel chain a staty with alot, then win win.  I also have the amex PRG and kinda wanna keep it rather than upgrad to plat.  AMEX Plat $450, PRG $195 and Ritz $395 could you imagine

Amex and Ritz offer the same lounge access as far as priority pass goes, though the ritz offers free guests (and free authorized users who get their own priority pass cards) and the amex does not.  With amex plat you'll get delta sky club (only when flying delta, and no guests), and centurion lounges. 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.