Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz Carlton

tag
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Ritz Carlton

Got my Ritz card back in December and loving it so far. I'm curious though... did anyone get this card just to have it? What I mean by that is, I app'd for this card without caring about the benefits or ever planning to seriously use the points or stay at a Ritz hotel (I don't travel much, so I don't stay in hotels). I just wanted the card.The $395 anual fee is nothing to me, and well worth being able to carry around an awesome card like this (some people would argue that it's wasted money, or not a "smart" decision, but it only comes out to be $33 a month, and even less if I buy AA gift cards for the airline credit). Has anyone else app'd for this card knowing full well you're probably not going to use it's benefits?

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ritz Carlton

@DomLS3 wrote:

Got my Ritz card back in December and loving it so far. I'm curious though... did anyone get this card just to have it? What I mean by that is, I app'd for this card without caring about the benefits or ever planning to seriously use the points or stay at a Ritz hotel (I don't travel much, so I don't stay in hotels). I just wanted the card.The $395 anual fee is nothing to me, and well worth being able to carry around an awesome card like this (some people would argue that it's wasted money, or not a "smart" decision, but it only comes out to be $33 a month, and even less if I buy AA gift cards for the airline credit). Has anyone else app'd for this card knowing full well you're probably not going to use it's benefits?

Dear lord... obviously, if you find that you get more utility out of the card than the cost of it, keep using it, but I think that it's a stupid idea to hold onto a card like the Ritz unless you're actually going to fully utilize its benefits. It is not cheap (even with the airline credits), and in my opinion, its cost is not even close to being worthwhile in exchange for its sleek black/metal design. Go for something that you'll actually use.

But then again... if you really do think that it's worth it to hold onto it, then be my guest...

Message 2 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it for the benefits, and because I thought it was cool. But honestly I find myself more embarrassed using it than not. I use it for restaurant spend (trying to meet the $10k for retaining Marriott status) which often amounts to a $2.99 burrito. It's a little ostentatious for the use it gets from me on a regular basis. As a petite female, I always make the joke that I carry it as a weapon when questioned, but I mentioned the other day that I busted out my Freedom instead the other day when I was somewhere I was embarrassed to have and use that nice of a card. 

Message 3 of 64
creditguy
Valued Contributor

While the Ritz is certainly a cool card and I'm sure your not the only one who apped for it because it's cool. I definitely would never get a card that I have no use for especially with a $395 AF just based on the feeling I get carrying it. While $33 a month would not make or break me, it's the principle of throwing away money on a piece of metal that spends a majority of time in my wallet. A majority of people aren't impressed by what kind of credit card we carry, even if they are, you just impressed a cashier at the gas station, now that's something. I apply for cards based on their benefits, I make my money work for me, or at least try, but to each their own.
Message 4 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I applied because I had a need for it.  Personally, the benefits and the $300 credit works well for me. So the $95 annual fee after the math is not  a big deal to me.

Message 5 of 64
ddemari
Super Contributor

When I first applied for the Ritz, I did want it for its nice design lol. but I did take advantage last year from the 300 travel credit which made the annual fee very reasonable to me. Now, I have stayed at the Ritz before but don't stay there exclusively (i wish though)! Its a pricey hotel for sure, which makes sense its a luxury hotel but still everything aside its a good card if you work the benefits. 

Message 6 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's significantly cheaper than a Porsche (though probably less effective), if the goal is to impress others.

That said, I know I wouldn't want to earn rewards in a currency I'd never use.

Message 7 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

A very funny thing about what we perceive as "cool".  I also thought it was SO cool to have that metal card when I got mine.  After the 3rd month of using I SD'd the damn thing because the "OMG, this card is SO heavy...." from each checkout truly became annoying to me.  I eventually consolidated all the CL to my Marriott card.

Message 8 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the only card that I pay the annual fee on; all of the others are no fee or I get the fee waived.  The first year I received 80k in marriot points and $600 in incidental charges refunded by apping in September and taking advantage of the new year reset. I then got a free night at the Los Angeles Ritz and 10k more Marriot points as a retention offer, in addition to gold Marriot status through the end of the year by making the required spend, so yes, well worth it for me. 

The only down side, it set of the metal detector at LAX and it took us a while to figure out what the problem was.......

Message 9 of 64
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@DomLS3 wrote:

/facepalm

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.