Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz card --- what's the catch?

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Ritz card --- what's the catch?

Why doesn't this card get the AMEX platinum love? Especially in light of some of the perks:

2x points on airlines, car rental, and dining

5x points on Marriott/Ritz hotel stays

$300 Airline incidentals credit

$100 Hotel credit

Ritz/Marriott Gold Elite Status free first year ($10k spend/yr to keep it subsequent years. Very reasonable, even if you some light MS)

Airport lounge access

Primary Collision Coverage 

This is a benefits card, i.e., the perks of the card outweigh the value of actual reward "spend". I wouldn't spend too much more than what's required to keep Marriott Gold status. AF is $395, but providing you use the airline incidentals credit it is technically a $95 card with quite a few perks, even if you don't stay at Ritz/Marriott properties. Makes me rethink renewing the CSP. Anything I'm missing here? Why isn't this card more popular? How does this stack up to the AMEX platinum? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ritz card --- what's the catch?

@eagle2013 wrote:

Why doesn't this card get the AMEX platinum love? Especially in light of some of the perks:

$100 Hotel credit

Ritz/Marriott Gold Elite Status free first year ($10k spend/yr to keep it subsequent years. Very reasonable, even if you some light MS)

Airport lounge access

This is a benefits card, i.e., the perks of the card outweigh the value of actual reward "spend". I wouldn't spend too much more than what's required to keep Marriott Gold status. AF is $395, but providing you use the airline incidentals credit it is technically a $95 card with quite a few perks, even if you don't stay at Ritz/Marriott properties. Makes me rethink renewing the CSP. Anything I'm missing here? Why isn't this card more popular? How does this stack up to the AMEX platinum? 

As you said, it's a benefits card. I don't know why it doesn't get more love, especially after they bumped the incidentals up to $300. I will say that using this card for anything besides Marriott / Ritz stays is not a good idea, even travel and dining, unless MAYBE attempting to meet the 10k to keep Gold. Marriott points are pretty badly devalued, enough so that general spend is probably only getting you .6% back, with travel and dining double that. Not good. Using your CSP fo those categories and then transferring (not to Marriott and RC) would be a better idea IMHO.

Message 2 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@eagle2013 wrote:

$100 Hotel credit

Airport lounge access

As you said, it's a benefits card. I don't know why it doesn't get more love, especially after they bumped the incidentals up to $300. I will say that using this card for anything besides Marriott / Ritz stays is not a good idea, even travel and dining, unless MAYBE attempting to meet the 10k to keep Gold. Marriott points are pretty badly devalued, enough so that general spend is probably only getting you .6% back, with travel and dining double that. Not good. Using your CSP fo those categories and then transferring (not to Marriott and RC) would be a better idea IMHO.

Thanks for the breakdown! My plan is to use the Ritz Card, which shouldn't be too hard over the course of the year. Haven't thought about keeping the CSP for points transfers from travel and dining expenses. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 11
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I have had mine for a month now. When they upped the airline incidental to $300 is when I decided to app. My goal is to use it for the first $10,000 of uncategorized spend just to keep the gold status. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 11
rlx01
Established Contributor

The card is only good for the perks.

The points are basically worthless.

Still a good card for $95, but only if you're staying at Marriott or Ritz properties.
Message 5 of 11
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

The benefit of the Amex Plat over the Ritz is a Delta Skyclub access

Message 6 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
The card is only good for the perks.

The points are basically worthless.

Still a good card for $95, but only if you're staying at Marriott or Ritz properties.

I think you're confusing the Ritz Carlton card with the Marriot Premier Rewards card. The MPR card is actually $85 anyway, while the Ritz card is $395/ year.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 7 of 11
Indo
New Contributor

He's saying that if you travel frequently - with the $300 airline credit the card essentially has a AF of $95.

Starting Score: 673 EQ(2014)
Current Score: 784 EQ(2022)
Goal Score: 750+

Current cards: AmEx Gold (NPSL), Discover It ($17,000), Barclaycard Rewards ($15,600), Amazon Prime Rewards ($25,200), Apple Card ($15,500), AmEx Blue Business Plus ($30,000), Rakuten Visa ($8,000), My Best Buy ($15,000)
Message 8 of 11
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@Indo wrote:

He's saying that if you travel frequently - with the $300 airline credit the card essentially has a AF of $95.

OH! I see. Thanks for clearing that up Smiley Happy

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 9 of 11
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

I would have to travel a lot more to make this card worth it to me.  And I'm sure Ritz hotels are nice - I've look a couple of them up when planning trips - but there is no way I would spend that kind of money for a room.  I know it gives benefits for Marriott hotels as well but I just don't fly enough to make up for the $300 in airline incidentals.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.