Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz vs. AMEX Plat vs. CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ritz vs. AMEX Plat vs. CSR

I'm on the hunt for a premium travel card and I still cannot make up my mind on which. I'm very well aware with the benefits, pros and cons of each - but I guess I need a second opinion. Here's my thoughts on each (I only highlight features I'd use and drawbacks for me):

Basic facts:

Currently based in San Antonio with a potential relocation to PHL in the near future

729 TU FICO 8 / 727 EX

6% UTIL

7 INQ on EX / 5 EQ / 4 TU

at 4/24 for Chase's purposes

Ritz

Fully metal card 

10% points back (making it a 1.1x/2.2x card)

Dining/travel point bonus

JP Morgan Concierge

Earns Marriott points (which would sort of compliment my SPG - even though Marriott points are worth much less)

AMEX

Get in before fee increase this week

New uber credits, while restrictive, I heavily use Uber (also 2x earning on Uber - if that's still a thing)

Lounge access (Centurion, Delta, etc)

Travel credit is still useful, but need to be creative

Concierge services

MR is a bit weak in that it posts the statement after earning, as well as taxes on redemptions. Also no other bonus besides 5x on airfare

So it's more of a perk card than an earning card

CSR

Would pair nicely with my FU, let me combine my UR and transfer them to a partner or redeem via UR Portal (more than likely since I don't fly WN or UA)

Would not be able to get it until Jan 2018 when I'm back down from 5/24

Travel Credit & Dining/travel point bonus

Kinda kicking myself for not getting in the 100K bonus, but wasn't ready for the card back then

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Ritz vs. AMEX Plat vs. CSR

Don't forget elite hotel status from Amex, if you don't have it already. Ritz, too, if you continue to spend enough on the card.

Whether Amex will keep offering Marriott/SPG status a year or two from now is unclear, of course...but these cards change often, anyway.

Which is best for you really just depends on how you value each feature.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm already both Hilton Gold and SPG Gold via other means, so I wouldn't use those benefits (asked RC if they would extend my Marriott Gold for another year as well, waiting to hear back)

Also, the Ameriprise Platinum Amex offers no bonus, but also no AF the first year, which is huge. 

Anyone know if there are any differences besides no AF the first year? do need to be a customer of Ameriprise? anyone have a comparison between the two?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO if you are going to have just one of those, I would pick the CSR any day. It offers most of the perks, automatic super easy travel credit redemption, and is a great point earner if you dine out or travel at all.

That being said, I still might keep the Amex around because it has great perks and I live in a Delta hub city...

Ritz is fun for sure, and if you stay in Ritz/Marriott/SPG properties often I can see it making sense but you are locked to that conglomerate as far as points earning - which is another reason I would recommend the CSR instead.

Message 4 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It seems that unless you get a lot of value from at least one of:

1. JPM customer service or concierge

2. A very heavy card

3. The RC signup bonus

...then you might be able to exclude Ritz.

And between CSR and Platinum it's more "your value may vary".

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait and get the CSR, same as me.  I think I have like 16 months.

Message 6 of 17
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm on the hunt for a premium travel card and I still cannot make up my mind on which. I'm very well aware with the benefits, pros and cons of each - but I guess I need a second opinion. Here's my thoughts on each (I only highlight features I'd use and drawbacks for me):

Basic facts:

Currently based in San Antonio with a potential relocation to PHL in the near future

729 TU FICO 8 / 727 EX

6% UTIL

7 INQ on EX / 5 EQ / 4 TU

at 4/24 for Chase's purposes

Ritz

Fully metal card 

10% points back (making it a 1.1x/2.2x card)

Dining/travel point bonus

JP Morgan Concierge

Earns Marriott points (which would sort of compliment my SPG - even though Marriott points are worth much less)

AMEX

Get in before fee increase this week

New uber credits, while restrictive, I heavily use Uber (also 2x earning on Uber - if that's still a thing)

Lounge access (Centurion, Delta, etc)

Travel credit is still useful, but need to be creative

Concierge services

MR is a bit weak in that it posts the statement after earning, as well as taxes on redemptions. Also no other bonus besides 5x on airfare

So it's more of a perk card than an earning card

CSR

Would pair nicely with my FU, let me combine my UR and transfer them to a partner or redeem via UR Portal (more than likely since I don't fly WN or UA)

Would not be able to get it until Jan 2018 when I'm back down from 5/24

Travel Credit & Dining/travel point bonus

Kinda kicking myself for not getting in the 100K bonus, but wasn't ready for the card back then

Already a lot of posts about this. CSR wins over AmEx Plat in general. Ritz is differnet. A lot folks go for that card for its heavy metal....

Message 7 of 17
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

I think that since you're 4/24  that you should get a Chase card because you could get the Platinum later after trying out one of the Chase cards and see if it's to your liking. Get the Platinum first, though, and you've locked yourself out. And as for which Chase card, I would recommend the Reserve (not only because I'm biased since I have one Smiley Tongue ) since it provides more value back to you, at least it does for most people, than the Ritz card.

The Ritz, however, is a Visa Infinite card that has access to the Visa Infinite discount portal which the CSR does not allow access to. This portal allows you to get pretty much $100 off any domestic roundtrip for 2-5 people. It would benefit you to only do it with 2 since it's a $100 overall discount and not per person.

Message 8 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I think that since you're 4/24  that you should get a Chase card because you could get the Platinum later after trying out one of the Chase cards and see if it's to your liking. Get the Platinum first, though, and you've locked yourself out. And as for which Chase card, I would recommend the Reserve (not only because I'm biased since I have one Smiley Tongue ) since it provides more value back to you, at least it does for most people, than the Ritz card.

The Ritz, however, is a Visa Infinite card that has access to the Visa Infinite discount portal which the CSR does not allow access to. This portal allows you to get pretty much $100 off any domestic roundtrip for 2-5 people. It would benefit you to only do it with 2 since it's a $100 overall discount and not per person.

I was wondering about all the differences in the different high end travel cards, I feel like such a noob, i didn't realize my CSR was of the visa infinite variety and I don't even know what that does which is even more sad. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 17
mdd0214
Contributor

Rather than wait until 1/18, I would recommend getting the Plat. Since it seems to matter to you, the Plat will offer a metal card starting at the end of this month.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.