Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz vs. AMEX Plat vs. CSR

tag
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Re: Ritz vs. AMEX Plat vs. CSR

I went for the Ritz last year solely for the 3 free nights and the upgrades and Ritz status as the girlfriend and I are trying to go on a short vacation this year somewhere spiffy, but funds are not abundant after buying a house last summer. I'll probably roll my CSP into the Ritz and PC it to the CSR sometime this fall...I'd app for the CSR but it will be a couple years until I'm under 5/24.

If you were aiming to test drive 1,2, or 3 of these cards...I'd do what another posted suggested and open up a Chase account first...cash in on the bonus and then see what Amex has to offer on the Platinum. The Platinum isn't going anywhere but if you go that route first, you will likely lock out on Chase (except the Ritz which wasn't 5/24 when I applied but might be now...)

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solid advice by everyone here.  I would just like to add (sorry if it has already been mentioned and if you already know this) that getting the CSR would be beneficial right now. You are 4/24 + cards that are not cobranded generate more revenue for the bank so it would eventually lead to better relationship with the bank over time (if you do not pay late or default).  If you still want the platinum and ritz you can always get them later.

Message 12 of 17
yfan
Valued Contributor

MF is pretty partial to Chase and the CSR, and no doubt the CSR is a great travel card. But the Amex Platinum gives you more benefits and exclusivity:

• First, if you value MRs and URs roughly equally, you'd be getting 67% more rewards on airfare with the Amex Platinum.
  • Amex has way more partner airlines for transfer than Chase.
  • You would also get 5X MRs for hotels booked through Amex Travel, if you think it's worth booking that way.
  • More lounge access. In addition to what everyone else gives you, Amex gives you Delta Skyclub AND Centurion lounges.
  • If you ever ceased having status at hotels through other means, the Platinum would cover it.
  • The Uber credits and Airline credits - assuming you use them all - will effectively make the Platinum a $50 AF card for the first year (if you get in before the AF goes up), and $150 AF thereafter (with the CSR starting at $150 and staying there assuming you can use the $300 travel credit with them).
  • While most everyone here will tell you that they are highly satisfied with Chase, in 2016 JD Power ranked Chase not only below Amex in overall customer satisfaction, but between Amex (2nd place) and Chase (5th place) were Barclays and Capital One! Naturally, Chase reserves the best of its service for the CSR, but the same is true for Amex and the Platinum. So yes, the survey represents an overall picture and YMMV, but to the extent you value that overall picture, Amex wins.
Message 13 of 17
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Unless I am mistaken (which is totally possible), isn't the Philly airport almost all American Airlines? I personally think that a lot of the Plat's benefits work best in conjunction with flying on Delta.  At least the CSR allows for redemption on American, Delta, United, Southwest through the UR portal.  Also, since you don't need the hotel status on Hilton or SPG/Marriott that comes with the Plat, that seems to eliminate a lot of the Plat's value.  

Message 14 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@deltatee wrote:

Unless I am mistaken (which is totally possible), isn't the Philly airport almost all American Airlines? I personally think that a lot of the Plat's benefits work best in conjunction with flying on Delta.  At least the CSR allows for redemption on American, Delta, United, Southwest through the UR portal.  Also, since you don't need the hotel status on Hilton or SPG/Marriott that comes with the Plat, that seems to eliminate a lot of the Plat's value.  

PHL is getting a Centurion later this year.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 17
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Well that is a good news and definitely a perk!

Message 16 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@deltatee wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@deltatee wrote:

Well that is a good news and definitely a perk!

It's supposed to open in August, I think...so the only reason to rush an app would be to get in on a lower AF for a year.

Wikipedia says PHL has full airside connectivity, so the 20% or so of non-AA flights out of PHL should also have access.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.