Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz vs marriott offer

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Ritz vs marriott offer

After having the ritz and paid 2 annual fees so far, the real value in ritz like FinStar said is now often you stay at their properties. Otherwise if you don't stay there often, Marriott is more realistic and a better deal.
Message 11 of 17
dilettante
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The airline credit of $300 is bit more difficult than Amex but they still give credits for gift cards.  Chase, afaik, does not pc co branded credit cards.  With the current offerings, unless you are staying at Ritz hotels, Id go with the Marriott card.

I was wondering if this may be an exception given the relationship between Ritz and Marriott. 

The points are interchnageable so no real reason to PC anyways

I disagree. The AF on the Ritz is much higher. Do I get a free night each year with the ritz? The marriott card would be worth keeping beyond the first year, but I'm not soo sure about the ritz card. Sure I can offset most of the AF, but to keep gold status I would need to throw 10k on it each year. The marriott card I could keep in the SD and easily use my free night each year which is worth the AF IMO. 

If you're going to choose Marriott, make sure there are plenty of category 1-4 locations where you can use the annual certificates.  Their annual devaluation is coming up soon.  I got the Marriott first, then the Ritz because they wouldn't let me pc.  I ended up closing the Marriott because I could never find a category 1-5 location that would be useful for me and I had to let a few certificates from bonuses and from the free annual to expire.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

ive been thinking of this as well, with the 5/24 rule coming up, possibly getting the marriott and then moving the SL across that and my other two chase cards after closing the ritz.  The one thing to keep in mind is the three club level upgrades every year on paid stays as well.  One question since I haven't used it yet, is the club level upgrade per room, or per person?  If my GF and I go and use the upgrade, do I need one for each of us or is it the room?  

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ive been thinking of this as well, with the 5/24 rule coming up, possibly getting the marriott and then moving the SL across that and my other two chase cards after closing the ritz.  The one thing to keep in mind is the three club level upgrades every year on paid stays as well.  One question since I haven't used it yet, is the club level upgrade per room, or per person?  If my GF and I go and use the upgrade, do I need one for each of us or is it the room?  

The room

Message 14 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The upgrades are per room, and usually based on double occupancy. Any guest over double occupancy may incur an additional charge
Message 15 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I ended up apping for the Marriott over the Ritz, especially with the current marriott signup offer. I had read that some people have difficulty using the club upgrade. Plus its got to be a paid rate and some discounted rates don't qualify and apparently you can't veen pay for the room with a point/cash payment if you wish to use the certs. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Gotta pay all cash, z38 rate. Some hotels are great rates, other not so great.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.