Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ritz vs marriott offer

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Ritz vs marriott offer

Between the two cards which offer has more value? The way I see it the Ritz gives two free nights up to cat 4 along with gold status and you can get back like $300 of the AF with airline credit (not sure how difficult it is to use this credit, is it like with amex or very restrictive?) and the marriot card (oh looking at it they don't waive the AF first year on this offer) in the first year would give me 80k points. If I got the ritz card would I be able to PC it to a marriott or would that require a new app?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ritz vs marriott offer

The airline credit of $300 is bit more difficult than Amex but they still give credits for gift cards.  Chase, afaik, does not pc co branded credit cards.  With the current offerings, unless you are staying at Ritz hotels, Id go with the Marriott card.

Message 2 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The airline credit of $300 is bit more difficult than Amex but they still give credits for gift cards.  Chase, afaik, does not pc co branded credit cards.  With the current offerings, unless you are staying at Ritz hotels, Id go with the Marriott card.

I was wondering if this may be an exception given the relationship between Ritz and Marriott. 

;
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering if this may be an exception given the relationship between Ritz and Marriott. 

The points are interchnageable so no real reason to PC anyways

Message 4 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Some high level info (jsucool76 or others can provide more details as well)

The value would really depend how often you stay at Ritz and/or Marriott properties.  For Ritz CC/loyalty program, Gold status is complimentary the 1st year.  Thereafter, you would need to spend $10K annually to retain Gold with the CC.

The $300 annual travel credit can be reasonably achieved - i.e. there's the GC option for some airlines (except UA or SW - YEMV), or unless you have accrued actual airline expenditures (i.e. upgrade, baggage fees, etc).

IIRC, the Ritz CC cannot be PC'd to Marriott.

Message 5 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree. The AF on the Ritz is much higher. Do I get a free night each year with the ritz? The marriott card would be worth keeping beyond the first year, but I'm not soo sure about the ritz card. Sure I can offset most of the AF, but to keep gold status I would need to throw 10k on it each year. The marriott card I could keep in the SD and easily use my free night each year which is worth the AF IMO. 

;
Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree. The AF on the Ritz is much higher. Do I get a free night each year with the ritz? The marriott card would be worth keeping beyond the first year, but I'm not soo sure about the ritz card. Sure I can offset most of the AF, but to keep gold status I would need to throw 10k on it each year. The marriott card I could keep in the SD and easily use my free night each year which is worth the AF IMO. 

Sounds to me like the Marriott card would be a better value or fit for you instead of Ritz.  You would need to do the math to see what is more sustainable long term for your travel lifestyle.

Now, if the 140K offer had rebounded, then you could see the Ritz as more appealing (sorry it's not back!).  I believe the current offer is $4K spend for 2 complimentary nights (last I checked).

Message 7 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds to me like the Marriott card would be a better value or fit for you instead of Ritz.  You would need to do the math to see what is more sustainable long term for your travel lifestyle.

Now, if the 140K offer had rebounded, then you could see the Ritz as more appealing (sorry it's not back!).  I believe the current offer is $4K spend for 2 complimentary nights (last I checked).

In the first year I think the Ritz is more valuable to me by far because of the gold status and I will be going to a destination where I can use the two free nights. The airline credits are annual so I can get $600 back on those in the first year as well to offset the AF. The problem is after the first year the value drops off a lot at which point in the long term benefits of the marriott card surpass it. If the 140k offer on the Ritz comes back then it is a no brainer to me.  

;
Message 8 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In the first year I think the Ritz is more valuable to me by far because of the gold status and I will be going to a destination where I can use the two free nights. The airline credits are annual so I can get $600 back on those in the first year as well to offset the AF. The problem is after the first year the value drops off a lot at which point in the long term benefits of the marriott card surpass it. If the 140k offer on the Ritz comes back then it is a no brainer to me.  

Just keep in mind you cannot PC Ritz to Marriott if that's the route you wish to proceed.  If the 5/24 rule gets propagated to co-branded CCs (if at all), then another thing to consider on choosing the right product.

Message 9 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just keep in mind you cannot PC Ritz to Marriott if that's the route you wish to proceed.  If the 5/24 rule gets propagated to co-branded CCs (if at all), then another thing to consider on choosing the right product.

Yes it makes it annoying. 

;
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.