Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadblock: Barclay's Sallie Mae

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Roadblock: Barclay's Sallie Mae

Greets forum.

Looking for advice on this lender. App'd last night for the Sallie Mae and denied Smiley Sad
On recon this morning the Credit Analyst "almost" passed it thru citing the usual crap, " why are you looking for new credit"? I simply stated it looked to be a very useful 5% personal gas/groceries rewards card and i had no problem with their low monthly cap. She was about to make it a go then stopped herself in mid-sentence and said they would want to see 6 months history on my newest card first, a BOA approved just last week. My scores are 710 avg maybe better now, no BK, no derogs, AAoA crappy right now of course.

But my question is should i try to re-recon the recon borderline denial and hope for a better outcome or is Barclay's recon a one time mission and out.

Kinda wanted this card for the obvious but was surpringly shocked they shot it down on recon.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Roadblock: Barclay's Sallie Mae

I would recon it since you have a pretty good profile. Just explain why you needed the last card and why this one is needed too, and I think you'll be okay. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

That's BS.... I applied for a BOA card too and apped for the barclays two days later and got it....

Message 3 of 14
tray
Valued Contributor

If I were in your shoes I would definitely call back tomorrow and speak with another credit analyst and I hope you end up getting an analyst that will reconsider and help.  I wish you the best of luck. 

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Barclays tracks recon calls, most people get 1 chance at it but stranger things have happened. You may want to think of a more compelling explanation for wanting the card.
Message 5 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks. I'm shooting in the dark without good advice on them. I felt like i was ok too, i mean it's like this, i could easily have app'd for Chase and/or a first Amex, but because of the stickiness i read on Barclay's shyness on new Inq's/TL's i app'd the Sallie Mae so i could garden out the remainder of 2014 and just do the present lines for CLI's.
I will give them another call then in the morning. After all they already burned one of my HP's now. Only had 2 on TU

Appreciate the advice. Thanks guys.
Message 6 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Your next recon: "I think Barclays is a great partner to have in my credit portfolio and your Sallie Mae card hits the sweet spot in what I look for in a bank. I have a fantastic credit rating as you can see and yes I opened the BoA card last week thinking that they would be a good strategic partner in my portfoilio as well."  Say nothing more unless asked more questions. He who speaks first after the pitch is made loses....

Message 7 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 8 of 14
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

great scipt to follow ^. I'm not sure what it is, but they were very hard on my CLI request as well. Seemed like he was going to say yes and then came back with a similar 6 month message. This was rep #2 on the day. The first one said that the only option was a HP even though my app was just on Friday. Second didnt do a HP, but didnt give me the increase

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 9 of 14
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:
Greets forum.

Looking for advice on this lender. App'd last night for the Sallie Mae and denied Smiley Sad
On recon this morning the Credit Analyst "almost" passed it thru citing the usual crap, " why are you looking for new credit"? I simply stated it looked to be a very useful 5% personal gas/groceries rewards card and i had no problem with their low monthly cap. She was about to make it a go then stopped herself in mid-sentence and said they would want to see 6 months history on my newest card first, a BOA approved just last week. My scores are 710 avg maybe better now, no BK, no derogs, AAoA crappy right now of course.

But my question is should i try to re-recon the recon borderline denial and hope for a better outcome or is Barclay's recon a one time mission and out.

Kinda wanted this card for the obvious but was surpringly shocked they shot it down on recon.

Thanks.

This surprises me a bit.  Was your new tradeline already reporting on the report they pulled or did they see the HP?  I thought Barclay was a surefire TU pull and BofA mostly an EX pull.  

Either way, sorry for your denial.  Smiley Sad

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.