Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling one limit onto another card from the same provider

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Rolling one limit onto another card from the same provider

I have a Cap 1 Platinum and QS1, I'd like to close the Platinum but I don't want to lose the extra wiggle room it gives me for my utilization. Would it be possible to transfer both the balance and limit from my Platinum over to my Cap 1, and close the Platinum? Do credit card companies allow this sort of thing?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Rolling one limit onto another card from the same provider

Sorry Cap1 is one of the credit card companies that doesn't allow it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@dapps06 wrote:

I have a Cap 1 Platinum and QS1, I'd like to close the Platinum but I don't want to lose the extra wiggle room it gives me for my utilization. Would it be possible to transfer both the balance and limit from my Platinum over to my Cap 1, and close the Platinum? Do credit card companies allow this sort of thing?

I did this several years ago with two BoA accounts but I don't know about Cap 1.

Message 3 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@coldnmn wrote:

Sorry Cap1 is one of the credit card companies that doesn't allow it.

+1

OP - Capital One does not combine/consolidate accounts.  Sawwy.

Message 4 of 5
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the responses. Shortly after I posted this message I tried to do this and yep sure enough Cap 1 doesn't allow it. Kind of annoying but oh well.

Btw, what creates offers on your account? I called the other day to ask for a reduced interest rate since my credit scores are all 50-60 points higher than when I got the cards six months ago, but I was told I need to have an offer available. Isn't that convenient for them, someone's credit improves but to avoid lowering the interest on that account Cap 1 just claims there's no offer available right now, an offer that only exists if THEY allow it to.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.