cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rounding out my CC portfolio... advice/warnings?

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Rounding out my CC portfolio... advice/warnings?

My credit cleanup is going pretty well... at the moment I'm reporting 20% util across 8 TLs, AAoA just over 6 1/2 years (down from 7ish thanks to a new card last month), actual FICO scores in the 680-705 range this month, some lates summer of 2012. 

I'm thinking about trying for three more cards, and closing down 2-3 small cards, before moving into the garden for the rest of the year. In three weeks I'll be reporting 1-2 of 8 accounts with balances, under 10% util. That might get my scores up around 730 based on fako simulators. 

My priorities/druthers are:

• Amex revolver (MSD and CLI are promising, have a business charge card with them already)
  • Good universal rewards card (I have Chase Freedom with rotating categories, and 1.5% on my limited Capital 1 QS, but would prefer a daily driver without the games)
  • BT/intro offer card (possibly financing a new laptop if my current paydown strategy leaves me without balances to transfer)
  • No annual fees. FTF/EMV not a big concern at the moment. 

I've been reading other threads here and researching cards, not doing much in the soft prequal until I have my score up and util down. But here's what I'm looking at:

Top of the list:

• Amex Revolver: Amex Blue - good 15mo 0% intro rate, will get my 1990s MSD
  • Rewards: Sallie Mae - cash back and good rewards 

Other options:

• Discover IT: Good cashback and intro deal
  • Chase Slate: BT deal could be good. 
  • Barclay? 
  • Total Rewards VISA? I'm more Mlife than TR but who knows what happens next? 

I was pondering the Chase Sapphire but not convinced I'd get it while my scores are still hovering around 700. $3k spend would be easy. $95 AF wouldn't be so hot though. 

Anyone have suggestions on these? 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rounding out my CC portfolio... advice/warnings?

I think you have a good plan.  I find myself using Chase Freedom and Discover the same way:  whichever rotating category fits my spend for that particular time.  I like the Slate for BT, but sometimes it gives low limits.  BoA Better Balance Rewards might be a good alternative to Slate.  Have you considered Fidelity Amex for the 2% cash back on everything?

Message 2 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

My credit cleanup is going pretty well... at the moment I'm reporting 20% util across 8 TLs, AAoA just over 6 1/2 years (down from 7ish thanks to a new card last month), actual FICO scores in the 680-705 range this month, some lates summer of 2012. 

I'm thinking about trying for three more cards, and closing down 2-3 small cards, before moving into the garden for the rest of the year. In three weeks I'll be reporting 1-2 of 8 accounts with balances, under 10% util. That might get my scores up around 730 based on fako simulators. 

My priorities/druthers are:

• Amex revolver (MSD and CLI are promising, have a business charge card with them already)
  • Good universal rewards card (I have Chase Freedom with rotating categories, and 1.5% on my limited Capital 1 QS, but would prefer a daily driver without the games)
  • BT/intro offer card (possibly financing a new laptop if my current paydown strategy leaves me without balances to transfer)
  • No annual fees. FTF/EMV not a big concern at the moment. 

I've been reading other threads here and researching cards, not doing much in the soft prequal until I have my score up and util down. But here's what I'm looking at:

Top of the list:

• Amex Revolver: Amex Blue - good 15mo 0% intro rate, will get my 1990s MSD
  • Rewards: Sallie Mae - cash back and good rewards 

Other options:

• Discover IT: Good cashback and intro deal
  • Chase Slate: BT deal could be good. 
  • Barclay? 
  • Total Rewards VISA? I'm more Mlife than TR but who knows what happens next? 

I was pondering the Chase Sapphire but not convinced I'd get it while my scores are still hovering around 700. $3k spend would be easy. $95 AF wouldn't be so hot though. 

Anyone have suggestions on these? 

Which Amex Blue?  If you mean the actual "Amex Blue" then go for the Everyday instead!

Message 3 of 9
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Which Amex Blue?  If you mean the actual "Amex Blue" then go for the Everyday instead!

Yeah, I was looking at "Blue from American Express(r)" since I'd read it was one of the easiest to qualify for. I guess it and Everyday both do MR points, which is okay, I travel sometimes. 

I was declined at the beginning of the month for Everyday, but hopefully with an extra 60-100 points on my FICO and a month on my Business Gold card they'll be a bit more favorable to me. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 4 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If you're wanting MR longtimelurker is right the everday card is now the way to go for that. Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 9
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I have one other related question, and figured I'd just tack it onto my existing thread here. 

A month ago I was declined for Amex ED with a EX FICO score quoted from two months earlier. Today it's 40 points higher (648 -> 688), although it was actually 684 at the time of the decline (if they'd only pulled a new FICO score). 

What's the chance that Amex will get a newer FICO score, and if not, would they be likely to consider recon based on almost all of their "key factors" being no longer accurate?

I have lates 2 years old but everything else (FICO score, util, monthly payments) should be clear. I have 3 inquiries, one of which is Amex themselves. 

Thanks all for the input. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 6 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I have one other related question, and figured I'd just tack it onto my existing thread here. 

A month ago I was declined for Amex ED with a EX FICO score quoted from two months earlier. Today it's 40 points higher (648 -> 688), although it was actually 684 at the time of the decline (if they'd only pulled a new FICO score). 

What's the chance that Amex will get a newer FICO score, and if not, would they be likely to consider recon based on almost all of their "key factors" being no longer accurate?

I have lates 2 years old but everything else (FICO score, util, monthly payments) should be clear. I have 3 inquiries, one of which is Amex themselves. 

Thanks all for the input. 

Amex uses their own internal scoring system based off FICO , so if you pulled your score from say here it may not line up. Also I would just wait it out for an few months and garden the cards you have now, but thats just me. I kind of was mad at myself when i apped for BCP when i did. I should have waited so i could have gotten an better CL. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 9
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Amex uses their own internal scoring system based off FICO , so if you pulled your score from say here it may not line up. Also I would just wait it out for an few months and garden the cards you have now, but thats just me. I kind of was mad at myself when i apped for BCP when i did. I should have waited so i could have gotten an better CL. 

Yeah, their decline notice was the most layered I'd seen. "Reason for our decision" was "the stuff below" (paraphrased) and the first thing in the stuff below was FICO score. Most of that stuff, and the stuff in the FICO score section ("used it in making our decision"), was better at the time and even better now. Smiley Happy 

I'm re-reading my plans and reconsidering the order of operations... got a qualifying organization membership for DCU so there's a chance that it will take precedence over Amex this round. But I've got a few days until my reported util drops under 2%. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah, their decline notice was the most layered I'd seen. "Reason for our decision" was "the stuff below" (paraphrased) and the first thing in the stuff below was FICO score. Most of that stuff, and the stuff in the FICO score section ("used it in making our decision"), was better at the time and even better now. Smiley Happy 

I'm re-reading my plans and reconsidering the order of operations... got a qualifying organization membership for DCU so there's a chance that it will take precedence over Amex this round. But I've got a few days until my reported util drops under 2%. Smiley Happy 

I would think an nice trip to the garden for somewhere between 6-9 months would be good. Just make sure to pay everything on time, and i think you will be in good shape to apply for amex or whatever other card you want to get. 

I personally decided on sitting in garden for till october so all my hp from last year hit 1 year anniversery. I am probably going to give it an go with amex fidelity , sallie mae, and cash + in october. I hope i will be in good shape to get all three with faily high CL :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.