cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules for combining/consolidating Citi credit cards?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Rules for combining/consolidating Citi credit cards?

I was hoping that someone could please provide some insight on what are the rules applicable to combining and/or consolidating Citi credit cards.  For example, I have a TYP MC at a lower interest rate than my 2 Citi DP VISAs, and so I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be realistically possible for me to call Citi to ask to reassign the DP VISA CLs to the Citi TYP MC, and then close out the higher-APR VISAs?  Also is it possible to combine or consolidate across card networks like this, or is it only MC to MC and VISA to VISA?  Finally, I remember reading a post on here where someone may have mentioned  that they were able to get multiple Citi cards consolidated onto a single card by just one HP?  If anyone has any more information that they would be willing to share, it would be deeply appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Rules for combining/consolidating Citi credit cards?

bump?

Message 2 of 7
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I've asked two reps and they swear Citi does not consolidate. They tell you to request a credit increase instead. The only time Citi consolidated for me was when I was coming off a spree and applied for my last two Citi cards(Diamond Preferred and Simplicity). I receieved messages saying to call in. They asked me a couple questions. Said I was approved for 500 and if I would like to take credit from my existing account. I did just that.

Creditaddict recently got them to consolidate after they told him they didn't do that.
Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@galahad15 wrote:

I was hoping that someone could please provide some insight on what are the rules applicable to combining and/or consolidating Citi credit cards.  For example, I have a TYP MC at a lower interest rate than my 2 Citi DP VISAs, and so I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be realistically possible for me to call Citi to ask to reassign the DP VISA CLs to the Citi TYP MC, and then close out the higher-APR VISAs?  Also is it possible to combine or consolidate across card networks like this, or is it only MC to MC and VISA to VISA?  Finally, I remember reading a post on here where someone may have mentioned  that they were able to get multiple Citi cards consolidated onto a single card by just one HP?  If anyone has any more information that they would be willing to share, it would be deeply appreciated.

It depends on the CSR or supervisor you get on the call!  I would suggest contacting an account manager and perhaps your angle could be asking to "increase" the CL on X card by combining/closing Y and Z cards.  This would also depend on whether the accounts are elegible to be "combined", and as you are aware, it will be HP..  Hopefully, it should only be 1 pull.

Citi can be very quirky since their account "consolidating" policy changes somewhat frequently.  In prior instances, I was able to combine a few older accounts into one without leaving anything residual CL-wise.  In the past it was SP (whether accounts remained open/closed).  More recently, you may not be able to combine all CLs, so potentially, only CL portions of the accounts being closed would be able to be reallocated.  YEMV.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what to tell you to search on, but there's been talk of Cit holding off on PC (I think) and possibly account consolidation until December. 

Message 5 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

Citi will consolidate no problem, at least in my experience. They'll want a HP for it, and you'll have to leave a certain amount on the donor cards but they can do it. You can do it from multiple cards at the same time, unless for some reason their policy had changed.
Message 6 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Consolidation with Citi is very much YMMV, it all depends on the CSR you get (like so many other things with Citi). You might have better luck reaching out to the EO.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.