Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I'm okay with plastic since my metal CSR's already pretty scratched up on top where it's swiped. Cat Surprised

Anyway, I'm leaning towards AmEx improving Platnium rather than them making a new card. Even adopting the same earnings structure as PRG would help a lot.

Ditto. My CSR is wayyyy scratched up at this point. Looks like I've been swiping it for 2 decades not 2 months haha.

Message 41 of 115
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

In my opinion, AMEX needs to revitalize the MR programs.  For someone that doesn't live near a hub, transferring points for continental flights is reduced to Delta or JetBlue.  Delta requires me to fly 2 hours east to Atlanta even if I want to go to the west coast.  JetBlue requires me to travel 2.5 hours to their nearest serviced airport.

For international travel, some of these programs only work if I book out of a major hub, so I still have to book a flight there first.  That leaves me with Delta and their sky high rewards structure.  I just booked a RT ticket to Europe on United with 60K UR points.....they same amount Delta is requiring for one way.

On top of that, AMEX charges you to transfer points to a partner.

Then there is SPG....my favorite program.  Is this card going to go away?  Right now I get 1 SPG/3 Marriott points for every dollar spent.  However, my MR points only get 0.3 SPG points per 1 MR with a transfer.  This doesn't make any sense considering AMEX and SPG are partners.   How does 1MR/$1 not equal 1SPG/$1?

While the Green/Gold/Platinum may be highly recongnizable worldwide, these products and their programs are very dated.  AMEX would still retain their legacy and reputation if they did a complete overhaul of their flagship products.  They need an image change and someone young and hip to deliver this.  I really have to wonder if they are struggling with the loss of multiple partners and benefits over the last several years.  

Considering they charge more per swipe than any other network, I find it hard to believe they can't deliver a range of competititve top notch products that blow any competition out of the water.

Message 42 of 115
satasat360
Regular Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is true.

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight. Also, up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap. It's all about the benefits. Right now even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that.   

That is a huge overstatement.  The Platinum is the best Amex card for a lot of people that travel..  Just because it doesnt fit your needs doesnt make it so for everyone else. 

It works for me. I can use a number of Delta lounges and the SFO Centurion. Priority Pass lounges are far less convenient for my travels, and I wonder why CSR fans get so enthusiastic about them.

I actually will book flights on a different card, though.

Because Priority Pass lounges are better than nothing - and for an additional $55 AF (once you factor in the $300 travel credit) over the CSP - the Priority Pass lounges become a pretty good deal.  I will say the one in DFW was nothing to write home about - but was better than nothing.  I'd personally love to have an Amex Platinum if I was single - but being married means I would need an AU card as well and once you add the AU fee for us the much better lounges aren't worth the extra amount of AFs we would pay for the little amount of travel we do every year.

Incorrect assumption as a plat member you can take 2 guests along with you to centurion lounge

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 115
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@satasat360 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is true.

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight. Also, up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap. It's all about the benefits. Right now even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that.   

That is a huge overstatement.  The Platinum is the best Amex card for a lot of people that travel..  Just because it doesnt fit your needs doesnt make it so for everyone else. 

It works for me. I can use a number of Delta lounges and the SFO Centurion. Priority Pass lounges are far less convenient for my travels, and I wonder why CSR fans get so enthusiastic about them.

I actually will book flights on a different card, though.

Because Priority Pass lounges are better than nothing - and for an additional $55 AF (once you factor in the $300 travel credit) over the CSP - the Priority Pass lounges become a pretty good deal.  I will say the one in DFW was nothing to write home about - but was better than nothing.  I'd personally love to have an Amex Platinum if I was single - but being married means I would need an AU card as well and once you add the AU fee for us the much better lounges aren't worth the extra amount of AFs we would pay for the little amount of travel we do every year.

Incorrect assumption as a plat member you can take 2 guests along with you to centurion lounge

Not incorrect - but I could have added the following information - my wife travels without me at times - she would want access to the lounge when not with me - thus needing an additional AU.

Message 44 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 45 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg this is exciting. This might make me take the plunge on an Amex Platinum.
Message 46 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting. Someone in the comments indicates that an Amex CSR told them of a "BIG" announcement coming up and to not dump the Plat. If this is true, then they may well be modifying the existing card. 

Message 47 of 115
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Giving this some thought.  I know to the community here what matters most will be the spending categories and benefits(rightly so).  That being said, making the card(be it the Platinum or something new) metal would be a good move in terms of perception, no ???  It looks and feels "cheap" next to the CSP and CSR.  Again, how it appears is not really important in the grand scheme of things, but it would look cool.  That can only help its appeal or mystique since that sort of thing will matter to some people.  We all like new and shiny things, don't we lol

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 48 of 115
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:

Giving this some thought.  I know to the community here what matters most will be the spending categories and benefits(rightly so).  That being said, making the card(be it the Platinum or something new) metal would be a good move in terms of perception, no ???  It looks and feels "cheap" next to the CSP and CSR.  Again, how it appears is not really important in the grand scheme of things, but it would look cool.  That can only help its appeal or mystique since that sort of thing will matter to some people.  We all like new and shiny things, don't we lol

I'm curious...

How many people still care about metal cards after they've enjoyed a Centurion lounge or 4th night free?

I know I want banks spending on real benefits, not gimmicks.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 49 of 115
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I agree, the fact that the Platinum is plastic has never bothered me nor do I care.  But wouldn't it help them in terms of marketing ???  It makes the card seem more exclusive even though that is not necessarily the case

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 50 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.