cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

Established Member

Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

I hope this is true.

 

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

Message 1 of 115
114 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

This is interesting.  I would upgrade to Plat. if they would at least offer a similar reward structure to PRG.  I never understood why they didnt do this.  I think that, along with a more flexible travel credit and they would have a home run.

Amex PRG =Amex ED 25k = Amex Delta 2k = Amex BCP 6k = Arrival 7k = BOA 321 25k = BOA BBR 5k = CSR 20k = Freedom 10k = Marriott 5k =Ritz 5k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 11k = CAP1 QS 15k = TR Visa 8.5k = NFCU 24k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 10k = Wells Plat. 5k = US Bank Cash+ 11k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 2 of 115
Moderator

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

Very interesting.  Been obvious for awhile that Amex needs to offer a better high end travel card that earns points at a better rate than 1X per dollar spent for the Platinum.  The Prestige and now the CSR offers far better incentives to use the card after the bonus.  Too many people get the card and then hardly use it after reaching any bonus spend requirement.  I'm sure the dilemma for them will be deciding whether to just improve the Platinum or introduce a brand new card.  If they do the latter then it would seem to me that the Platinum would die out because there wouldn't be a need for both cards. 

Message 3 of 115
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

I hope they improve the existing Platinum.

 

I'd like to see some/all of:

1. At least one free guest at Delta SkyClubs

2. Travel insurance to rival Prestige/CSR/CSP

3. Allowing broader travel expenses for the $200 credit (with MPX, it's just become a circus that no one really wins in)

4. Bonus categories

Perks, purchase protection, and sketchy merchants: Schwab Platinum.....Price rewind and extended warranties: Costco.....Travel insurance: Prestige.....Renewal nights: IHG, Hyatt.....Rewards/Offers: Discover, Freedom, ED, BCE.....Taxes/Misc: SPG...Questioning the value of: CSP, Arrival

760ish FICOs...Rebucketing hurts!
Total CL: Enough
Message 4 of 115
Established Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR


wasCB14 wrote:

I hope they improve the existing Platinum.

 

I'd like to see some/all of:

1. At least one free guest at Delta SkyClubs

2. Travel insurance to rival Prestige/CSR/CSP

3. Allowing broader travel expenses for the $200 credit (with MPX, it's just become a circus that no one really wins in)

4. Bonus categories


I'd rather there be a new card. New bonus.

Message 5 of 115
Established Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR


JustBPatient wrote:

This is interesting.  I would upgrade to Plat. if they would at least offer a similar reward structure to PRG.  I never understood why they didnt do this.  I think that, along with a more flexible travel credit and they would have a home run.


From what I understand people got AmEx platinum card because of the benefits rather than their reward structure. Once upon a time AmEx had benefits which no one matched (dedicated line, tickets to events, entry to publicaly sold out shows, restaurants hard to get in without months of advance reservations, etc). They assumed no one can match up their line of benefits and just didn't bother. So when Prestige & now CSR did come out with all the benefits Plat feels like an inferior card to have. I don't think the people I know who have it use it for collecting MR. They just use for the benefits. 

 

May be it is a good thing that Citi & Chase did come out with their cards. Even if AmEx does improve Plat, it will still have one disadvantage that other don't, it may remain a charge card. So who knows what AmEx is thinking at this point. 

Message 6 of 115
Regular Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

Yeah, not cool.  I just apped and got the SPG card.  Smiley Sad  We'll see what happens.  Maybe we can PC the Platinum to the new card?  Depending on the benefits of the new card, that would be nice.  Then again, if the new card is a revolver and not a charge card.....  Damn.


FICO 8 09/21/2016 TU 715, EQ 727, EXP 711
FICO 8 12/14/2016 TU 717, EQ 730, EXP 713
FICO 8 03/17/2017 TU 721, EQ 730, EXP 733
FICO 8 12/08/2017 TU 757 EQ 734 EXP 798
Message 7 of 115
Super Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR


Irish80 wrote:

Very interesting.  Been obvious for awhile that Amex needs to offer a better high end travel card that earns points at a better rate than 1X per dollar spent for the Platinum.  The Prestige and now the CSR offers far better incentives to use the card after the bonus.  Too many people get the card and then hardly use it after reaching any bonus spend requirement.  I'm sure the dilemma for them will be deciding whether to just improve the Platinum or introduce a brand new card.  If they do the latter then it would seem to me that the Platinum would die out because there wouldn't be a need for both cards. 


Yes,if the goal is to compete with CSR/Prestige, it's going to be hard to have a new card with matching benefits, while reserving some only for the Plat.   I guess something like Centurion Lounge access is only on the Plat, but not sure that would be enough

Message 8 of 115
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

I think it will be a new card with an identical design as the Amex Explorer Card that was launched in Australia.

 

http://www.ausbt.com.au/american-express-explorer-credit-card-review

Message 9 of 115
Regular Contributor

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

Now that's a nice-looking card.


FICO 8 09/21/2016 TU 715, EQ 727, EXP 711
FICO 8 12/14/2016 TU 717, EQ 730, EXP 713
FICO 8 03/17/2017 TU 721, EQ 730, EXP 733
FICO 8 12/08/2017 TU 757 EQ 734 EXP 798
Message 10 of 115