Not applicable

Re: Rumor: Amex to compete with CSR

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• 5X points on dining up to $5,000 per year. 
  • 4X points on travel and gas, including airline tickets and amenities. 
  • 1X points on all other purchases. 
  • $350 annual fee.
  • $250 annual airline credit.
  • 50% bonus on points if card is used 30 or more times per month.
  • Primary rental insurance.
  • Roadside assistance up to 4 times a year at no cost to cardholder.

All this is never going to happen.

Exactly.  Ridiculous to even speculate about that kind of program.  

Guess I should start pointing out how I"m kidding since nobody on this board seems to have a sense of humor. 

Well it's hard to tell when you repeatedly post similar thoughts about what Amex needs to to improve their products.

I do think AMEX should start providing primary rental insurance though. Not sure why the CSP and CSR are the only cards (that I know of) that do it.

On that we agree

Message 81 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my Chase United Mileage Explorer card has the Primary Rental Insurance as well..
Message 82 of 115
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is true.

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight. Also, up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap. It's all about the benefits. Right now even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that.   

That is a huge overstatement.  The Platinum is the best Amex card for a lot of people that travel..  Just because it doesnt fit your needs doesnt make it so for everyone else. 

Let me rephrase FOR ME, IN MY OPINION, AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight IN MY OPINION. Also, I THINK THAT YOU NEED TO up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap IN MY OPINION. It's all about the benefits FOR ME. Right now FOR ME, IN MY OPINION even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that. BUT THAT IS JUST ME.  

Message 83 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is true.

Sucks that I just applied for the Plat

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-compete-chase-sapphire-reserve-early-q4/

AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight. Also, up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap. It's all about the benefits. Right now even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that.   

That is a huge overstatement.  The Platinum is the best Amex card for a lot of people that travel..  Just because it doesnt fit your needs doesnt make it so for everyone else. 

Let me rephrase FOR ME, IN MY OPINION, AMEX Platinum is not even the best card that AMEX offers let along other companies. If they simply offered 3X on ALL purchases and include superior bonus categories it would vault this card back into the limelight IN MY OPINION. Also, I THINK THAT YOU NEED TO up your presentation. Your platinum card looks and feels cheap IN MY OPINION. It's all about the benefits FOR ME. Right now FOR ME, IN MY OPINION even at 100K bonus, this is a get it for the bonus card if even that. BUT THAT IS JUST ME.  

Agreed with everything you just said.

Presentation needs to be better. Rewards need to be better. The competition is doing it why can't Amex? 

Message 84 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am hoping they offer some upgrades to the Platinum card, I never use it but keep it ofr the perks!

Message 85 of 115
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

If these top tier cards come with a $450 AF wouldn't it be more appealing to have a slightly lower AF? To the bank no but if it draws in more people who are on the fence about it and stirs up competition. Amex needs to widen its insurance. I've only seen lost/delayed baggage insurance. Back when I had my United Explorer card the Visa Signature benefits of it saved me $275 (hotel and food) due to weather cancellation.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 86 of 115
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Recent Amex Platinum Announcement.

There seems to be a lot of buzz around the new 5X travel rewards benefit being added to the card. What do you all think about the possibility of a dining/gas boost following? The competition has similar earning structures and I imagine Amex would rather have people closing their PRGs than switching creditors. I know for one I'd love to consolidate the platinum and gold into one card that I do the majority of my shopping with as well as cut down on annual fees.

Message 87 of 115
awp317
Frequent Contributor

so is this 1.5% cash back for over 5K spend on my business platinum and 5 points per dollar spent on airfair on my personal platinum all were gunna see? 

I was really hoping for a new card with a possible sign up bonus to match CSR. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 88 of 115
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I would love to see them extend the bonus to a travel catagory including airfaire, car rentals, and hotels and establish a tier two structure for dining and gas. I don't mind the annual fee as it's cheaper than getting lounge access at each provider, but they really do need to posh it up a bit. Many cheaper cards are metal now! Primary rental insurance would be a major improvement as well. I don't really care whether or not they make the redemetion of the travel credit more accessable as I can easily find $200 worth of products I'd be buying on Amazon anyway. 

Message 89 of 115
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Listen,
Being metal is not a make it or break it feature. But if you want the world to think of you as High end and if you want to be the reference, You have to be made out of better materials than a measly $95 AF CSP that every joe blow has.

Ugh, nothing personal, but there is so much wrong in this picture.  Joe blow public DOES NOT CARE (even the over 200k crowd that does not hang out on here).  Benefits FAR outweigh the look of the card, IMHO (and several others).  The Amazon Prime is pure yuck, but the 5% is great, when mixed with taxed and non taxed items (currently 9.6% in Seattle, they want to raise over 10% across several counties this election).  I pick the cards for bennies, bonus, and/or growth potential in that category, not how it looks and feels (they ARE in the SD, not in bed with me Smiley Wink).  And with the chip readers, you can no longer even impress the sales, counter staff.

Signature needs updating
Message 90 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.