Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors of controlling pulls

tag
djrez4
Established Contributor

Rumors of controlling pulls

So, I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that you can get a credit card provider who would normally pull Experian to pull Transunion by using the Credit Karma referral link.  *cough*Amex*cough*  Has anyone experienced this?  I'd love to force TU pulls on my next round of applications.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumors of controlling pulls

or they can be nice and pull all three reports. 

as they did with me. 

proud member since aug 2012 though =) 

it was worth it to get in with amex. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Ive never heard of that. All i thought that did was give CK a referral fee from amex or something.

I have heard of people freezing reports, but it doesn't always work.
Message 3 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

I'm already in with Amex and EX and EQ are frozen.  They'll either pull TU or ask me for my PIN.  They've never pulled anyone but EX for me.

Message 4 of 11
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Only a wselect few creditors will do this. In my experience I have only gotten Chase to do this. I froze my ex and apped for the Freedom card. I called in later that day and she told me my reports were frozen yada yada. I kindly asked if she could pull eq, she said yes and bam approved! Keep in mind I was talking to a backdoor credit analyst, not a frontline CSR.

Citi will absolutely not do this. I have tried twice.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

I'm not talking about controlling the pull through a freeze.  I'm talking about controlling it by using the Credit Karma referral link.

Please keep the thread focused on that aspect.

Message 6 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
Only a wselect few creditors will do this. In my experience I have only gotten Chase to do this. I froze my ex and apped for the Freedom card. I called in later that day and she told me my reports were frozen yada yada. I kindly asked if she could pull eq, she said yes and bam approved! Keep in mind I was talking to a backdoor credit analyst, not a frontline CSR.

Citi will absolutely not do this. I have tried twice.

Citi sucks and is such a waste of an inquiry. Took me a bunch of times applying to come to this conclusion.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 11
Zanarov
Valued Member

Your theory makes sense..CK is owned by TU, so perhaps they offer a discount on their referral rate that the company would pay if they use TU for that APP?

...As an aside to previous posters Amex also pulled all three on me, but I did get approved!

Also Citi..yeah took me two months before I got my card in the mail. Thier CSR are not the best

and getting beyond them is diffucult.

Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Zanarov wrote:

Your theory makes sense..CK is owned by TU, so perhaps they offer a discount on their referral rate that the company would pay if they use TU for that APP?

...As an aside to previous posters Amex also pulled all three on me, but I did get approved!

Also Citi..yeah took me two months before I got my card in the mail. Thier CSR are not the best

and getting beyond them is diffucult.

CK isn't owned by TU, they simply just give information out based on your TU report. 

Message 9 of 11
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I had heard such rumors also. I used their link when applying for Amex earlier this year hoping it was a TU pull (too many inq on EX and slightly higher TU score). 

Anyway, didn't work. They pulled EX for me anyway, although I was approved for muliple products.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.