cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMS PLCC to MC...**update**

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: SAMS STORE CC CONVERTING TO MC SOON!!

I have a somewhat related question... a few weeks back when I used my Sam's Club MasterCard the cashier told me I was preapproved for a credit account.  I reminded her that I had a Sam's Club MasterCard, and she hit a few keys and continued the transaction.

I assumed this was a mistake... apparently I assumed wrong?  If you have both the MasterCard and the PLCC, which card serves as the membership card, or do you just get two?  Do you have to have a separate membership for the second credit account?

Forgive the simplistic questions... I'm genuinely curious!  Maybe next time I should see if that offer is still good?  Smiley Surprised

Message 21 of 40
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

My membership number is the same on both.

I have the annual fee billed to my PLOC versus the MC.

both show up on my samsclub credit login.

Message 22 of 40
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I have a somewhat related question... a few weeks back when I used my Sam's Club MasterCard the cashier told me I was preapproved for a credit account.  I reminded her that I had a Sam's Club MasterCard, and she hit a few keys and continued the transaction.

I assumed this was a mistake... apparently I assumed wrong?  If you have both the MasterCard and the PLCC, which card serves as the membership card, or do you just get two?  Do you have to have a separate membership for the second credit account?

Forgive the simplistic questions... I'm genuinely curious!  Maybe next time I should see if that offer is still good?  Smiley Surprised

Those are both very good questions, and I actually asked the lady today on the phone if I would still keep my green "membership" card, and would I have to swipe the member card first, and then pay with the MC at the register?  She said.....The MC will have my member number info already incorporated into the card number, so when I check out, I wont have to show both the membership card and payment. 

Message 23 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Those are both very good questions, and I actually asked the lady today on the phone if I would still keep my green "membership" card, and would I have to swipe the member card first, and then pay with the MC at the register?  She said.....The MC will have my member number info already incorporated into the card number, so when I check out, I wont have to show both the membership card and payment. 

She's definitely right about using the MC for both membership and payment, but my experiences have been a bit "clunky", though it's likely just bad luck getting new cashiers. 

If they scan the bar code on the back of the card to enter your membership number, everything is smooth.  But if they swipe the MC like they do a regular membership card (or a PLCC) at the beginning of the transaction, it tells them to insert the card into the EMV reader, causing a hurried cashier to (in my case) quickly 'snap' the reader around and shove in my card... the problem is, I'm not paying with it - right now, it's better to pay with Discover.  Twice this has caused confusion (mostly caused by them rushing so much) but the time they simply scanned the card instead of swiping it, all worked well. 

I'm still intrigued by the thought of having both the PLCC and the MC, since historically the PLCC gets a higher credit line, at least with a lot of folks.  In my case, I actively use my Sam's MC outside of Sam's, so it would be nice to have a separate account to use for a promotional purchase - like a set of tires - without confusing how my payments are applied to the MasterCard. 

I may have to see about this when I go to the store in a week or so.  Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 40
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

She's definitely right about using the MC for both membership and payment, but my experiences have been a bit "clunky", though it's likely just bad luck getting new cashiers. 

If they scan the bar code on the back of the card to enter your membership number, everything is smooth.  But if they swipe the MC like they do a regular membership card (or a PLCC) at the beginning of the transaction, it tells them to insert the card into the EMV reader, causing a hurried cashier to (in my case) quickly 'snap' the reader around and shove in my card... the problem is, I'm not paying with it - right now, it's better to pay with Discover.  Twice this has caused confusion (mostly caused by them rushing so much) but the time they simply scanned the card instead of swiping it, all worked well. 

I'm still intrigued by the thought of having both the PLCC and the MC, since historically the PLCC gets a higher credit line, at least with a lot of folks.  In my case, I actively use my Sam's MC outside of Sam's, so it would be nice to have a separate account to use for a promotional purchase - like a set of tires - without confusing how my payments are applied to the MasterCard. 

I may have to see about this when I go to the store in a week or so.  Smiley Wink

I see what youre saying now..  LOL...

Im also gonna try like heck to get a CLI on my Store card befor ethis happens, LOLSmiley Wink  but if not...Im ok with the $5k cl.. Im just excited that im losing a store card, and gaining a major card in return and without having to apply for it.  I dont want to ruin my garden streak!Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Im also gonna try like heck to get a CLI on my Store card befor ethis happens, LOLSmiley Wink  but if not...Im ok with the $5k cl.. Im just excited that im losing a store card, and gaining a major card in return and without having to apply for it.  I dont want to ruin my garden streak!Smiley Happy

On my next trip I'm going to pull up my 'digital card' on the Sam's Club app on my phone.  Maybe just by scanning that at the start of the transaction instead of using my MasterCard, the pre-approval will show up again at the register.  While admittedly a bit 'over the top', it would be heaven!

Of course I could also just get a Wal-Mart account and call it a day... LOL  Smiley Surprised

Message 26 of 40
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

On my next trip I'm going to pull up my 'digital card' on the Sam's Club app on my phone.  Maybe just by scanning that at the start of the transaction instead of using my MasterCard, the pre-approval will show up again at the register.  While admittedly a bit 'over the top', it would be heaven!

Of course I could also just get a Wal-Mart account and call it a day... LOL  Smiley Surprised

haha!!  

I have a Walmart store card as well with a $5900 cl. Would be nice if they decided to convert those as well. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 40
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This could be interesting. I wonder if the PLCC will convert into a Dual Card (DC). Will I then have two? Will my biz' BRC convert into a DC also?

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cue the jurassic park theme song.....

Wow I am super stoked!  I hope it ends up this way!  Now see, Someone in the thread said they had the PLCC and the MC.  And someone else said you couldn't have both........or duplicates.

Well...guess I better stop using my DC in club and revert back to sams to go for another CLI!!! I would laugh if this ends up being my first major credit card to hit 10k.

Is it true that you must reapply to get a lower APR?  I believe I was approved for the middle one.

Anywho...man...if this happens, mad props to synchrony bank!

Could someone tell me what travel purchases specifically qualify for the 3%?  Will taxi fare, public transportation, etc count?

Bummer that the plus membership people have an uglier card. These must not have any photos since they arent issued in club?? Wouldnt that encourage a ton of membership sharing?

Wow. what a great day. Still have 43 days left of membership, and on 40th, I have a living social offer to redeem with a buncha freebies! Also, looks like they randomly gave me a $300 increase? strange because my last random chat CLI request was denied.

Message 29 of 40
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cue the jurassic park theme song.....

Wow I am super stoked!  I hope it ends up this way!  Now see, Someone in the thread said they had the PLCC and the MC.  And someone else said you couldn't have both........or duplicates.

Well...guess I better stop using my DC in club and revert back to sams to go for another CLI!!! I would laugh if this ends up being my first major credit card to hit 10k.

Is it true that you must reapply to get a lower APR?  I believe I was approved for the middle one.

Anywho...man...if this happens, mad props to synchrony bank!

Could someone tell me what travel purchases specifically qualify for the 3%?  Will taxi fare, public transportation, etc count?

Bummer that the plus membership people have an uglier card. These must not have any photos since they arent issued in club?? Wouldnt that encourage a ton of membership sharing?

Wow. what a great day. Still have 43 days left of membership, and on 40th, I have a living social offer to redeem with a buncha freebies! Also, looks like they randomly gave me a $300 increase? strange because my last random chat CLI request was denied.

This is good news for many folks!

I don't have answers to all your concerns, but I can help with a few I've had personal experience with!

Below is a screen capture from my account when I'm logged in.  I'll add that there seems to be some flexibility with the exclusions, because while Kroger gas stations are specifically excluded, I did get 5% back when I made a test purchase last month at my local Kroger.

sams.jpg

I applied for my account online (both the membership and the MasterCard) and when it was approved, the website told me on the approval screen that I needed to go into a club to have my picture made (I think it said within three days).  Later that day or the next, I received a welcome email telling me my card would be shipped within 7-10 business days, which was very confusing since I hadn't yet had my picture made!  For online purchases, the new MasterCard was immediatly added to my Sam's Club profile, with the last few numbers of the new account number visible.  I made a purchase right away to take advantage of the new account promo ($20), which they still haven't honored (I'll be checking on that soon...)

Anyway, I did go to my local club, and they were able to easily find my info.  They verified my ID (and entered it into the computer as well),took my picture, and gave me a temporary membership card.  The card was the same as the PLCC card, and had 'Temporary' printed on the back along with my picture and a credit account number (but it wasn't a MasterCard number).  The lady told me that until I got my permanent card the credit feature would work at that club/location only, and that once I did receive it to destroy the temporary.

A week or so later I got the actual MasterCard in the mail, and it had a tiny picture on the back (lower left-hand corner); the same picture the lady took in the club and printed on my temporary card.  Honestly the picture is so small and fuzzy, even though it's in color it's difficult to see that it's even me.  I remember in the 'old days' the picture was black and white but quite large (back then they had an actual screen to stand in front of as well) but now they just use a $15 web cam that they simply hold up by hand with you standing in place... with folks walking behind and everything!  Of course back then you needed a membership to get in the door (apparently no longer a requirement, either) so I guess the picture is just a formality anyway.  FWIW, there's also a bar-code on the back with your membership number, for the cashier to scan (after they unsuccessfully swipe it!) and to scan yourself at the in-store samples kiosks or the Internet order kiosks.

The first time I used my 'temporary' card is when the register told the cashier I was 'pre-approved' for a credit account - even though there was already a credit account on that very card - which is what made me ask the question on here a few weeks back about having both versions.  The next time I go by my local club, I might just let them scan my membership number off the phone app (instead of my card) just to see if a credit offer comes up again.  As I mentioned previously, I use my card heavily outside of Sam's - always PIF each month - and it would be nice to have a separate credit line to use for a set of tires (or other major purchase).  That way I wouldn't have to be concerned with Synchrony allocating my payment correctly each month if I decide to use a 0% APR promo.

Hope some of this helps!

Edited to add:  New approvals for the MasterCard are assigned an APR of either 14.9% or 22.9%.  The 14.9% rate seems to quite elusive; there are threads with folks reporting having a FICO of close to 800 and still being assigned 22.9%.  If you get the 14.9% rate I'll be truly jealous!  Smiley Tongue

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.