cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCREW AMERICAN EXPRESS! Please help - haven't been here a while and I don't know what to do!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SCREW AMERICAN EXPRESS! Please help - haven't been here a while and I don't know what to do!

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Aww, dang, NetP, and some of us were just the other day wondering how you were doing!!!

There's a bunch of it going around, I'm afraid. The only options seem to be grimly playing their game or leaving in a huff. And if you need what's left of your CL's, that really limits your options.

IMO, there is no way of telling where their minds will be in 6 months or a year. I figure that the cards are TL's, even if they're not the ones they used to be, and they could roll the Magic AmEx 8-Ball again and decide that they love you after all. I'd do the sock-drawer route and hang in there.

Did you ever pull off the USAA membership? I can't remember if you did or not.

Credit unions and similar institutions like USAA are looking awfully good these days.

Awwwww...thanks for thinking about me. No, I never did app USAA cuz (I don't know if you remember) I was doing so good w/ my scores going up and getting decent CLI's and then I had to split that tuition between three cards. So I haven't apped since last year, and have been working to pay off that tuition. Then I was getting ready to attack the home equity line- and go all modified Dave Ramsey (yes I said modified) and try to double up on mortgage payments.

So now, what I am so afriad of- is that the other three cards that I have a balance on will soft me and delete those lines down- and my util will skyrocket. Then, in Dec. my student loans will appear, and I will really look crazy.

I still am in shock about this- Amex was my "decent"/aka bragging rights CL's- it made me feel good to know that I had 25K combined lines of credit with them and knew I didn't have to touch it. I guess it scares them too much. What I don't understand though, is that my credit has been pristine since starting all this almost two years ago- and if they would have looked hard enough at my reports they would notice that I have several CC's w/ 2K and 3K lines of credit and don't have a dime charged to them- and haven't for a long time. I haven't charged anything to my Discover or my Chase Freedom, it has been getting paid down every month w/ no new charges.

I was waiting until the Christmas season to do the obligatory "pull the card out, dust it off, and make a charge and PIF" to keep the cards from being inactive. I know in the past we talked about doing that 2x a year to keep them from inactivity, but I was so concentrated on getting that tuition paid off that I didn't even want to charge 25 bucks to Macys, Kohl's etc.

Sigh. Our mortgage is pristine, my CC's are pristine, up until this past week I haven't had a late payment in many, many years, and this one was 6 days late. 6 days.

The rep who was snotty w/ me told me it wasn't because of the six days late though.

The other thing that gets me- is the reason this card wasn't on autopay is that you couldn't sign up for it online. 2 different times I had them mail me the form, and was like, nah- it's ok.

Just was reading back - yes, I am a USAA member. I forgot about that! Called them up, and my number was so small- it was funny, because dad signed me up when I was little- so here I had been eligible all that time!! Too funny.

Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SCREW AMERICAN EXPRESS! Please help - haven't been here a while and I don't know what to do!

Amex strikes again-

I am developing some dust on my AMEX cards-

Message 22 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Timothy!

Ok everyone- getting ready to fax them. Will let you know what they say later tonight.

I'm not expecting any good will from them though.

Message 23 of 42
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

good luck but it is my experience especially in this market you are not going to get your credit line back especially while carrying a balance. once amex makes that decision it's in gold practically.
Message 24 of 42
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Here's an article I found just before I read this thread: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/

If you're a Countrywide mortgage holder, you might want to take a look. This guy is going to have to close his small business because of American Express. They have no pity on him, so I hate to say it, but you might not fare any better NP.

Good luck to everyone out there...it's scary times right now.

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 25 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, I just posted that story in Credit in the News, Megan!

This one really freaks me out:

(4) You have had an outstanding balance on your American Express account for at least 12 months.

I always pay as much as I charge each month (I consider this PIF), but I always have a balance when the statement cuts.  Is AMEX going to consider this like I have an outstanding balance each month??

Message 26 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MeganML84 wrote:

Here's an article I found just before I read this thread: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/

If you're a Countrywide mortgage holder, you might want to take a look. This guy is going to have to close his small business because of American Express. They have no pity on him, so I hate to say it, but you might not fare any better NP.

Good luck to everyone out there...it's scary times right now.

OMG. I just read that article.

I faxed my whole credit report to them yesterday, no call back from them, and they promised they would call me.

I don't care. SD they will go. If my average age weren't as low as it is, I would close the one w/ no balance.

Message 27 of 42
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Hi netp. I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I know ducky tried to fight this battle also, and althought he returned from fighting valiently, he returned bloody and bruised.

Hopefully you'll have better luck. And no matter what they say, I can almost promise that 6 day late had something to do with it. Even if it just flagged you internally for review. 

Here we go again...
Message 28 of 42
GregB
Valued Contributor

I have made three calls to Amex Open this morning and it is just now 7:20AM. In the 7 days in October I have deposited a $2000 Amex check into one business and paid $1000 to them from another business and $500 from my third business. I just found out they BOUNCED the $2000 check, when I had $20K available credit when I wrote the check! Now my credit is reduced to $12K. It was $82K last year, reduced to $28K on review a year ago and now reduced to $12K. They say they sent a letter on Oct 6, which means I will get it later today or tomorrow!

They say Experian is showing "too many inquiries" and "delinquencies". I just pulled my current report and there are TWO inquiries on my account, one a year ago and one about 6 months ago. The only delinquency is 6.5 years old. The rep said that I have a perfect record with them since 1982 with no late payments, ever. My payment to them on last months balance was over $14K in just one payment!

They tell me that they will fix it if I send them a report from Experian showing the delinquency removed. B of A tells me that they can't remove the 6.5 year old 30 day late but they did offer to reopen the account, which I closed when I was pissed of about the late charge. For future reference: that was a mistake. I suggest others learn from my mistake and not close any accounts without thinking about it first. I'm able to get this one reopened but that might be because I have two other CC with B of A, one with a huge limit. At least now I won't show a delinquency on a closed account. The reopened account will help bring my average age up since it was open for 10+ years when it was closed.

Message 29 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Hi netp. I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I know ducky tried to fight this battle also, and althought he returned from fighting valiently, he returned bloody and bruised.

Hopefully you'll have better luck. And no matter what they say, I can almost promise that 6 day late had something to do with it. Even if it just flagged you internally for review. 

I know. I could kick myself in the pants for the six day late, I know that has to be one of the reasons too.

I have been thinking this morning, I know Greg B just posted thinking about closing accounts, but they have ticked me off so bady that I am thinking about closing the one account that has only the 500 dollar limit (previously 5K) just to show them I don't reallly need them.

I am also thinking about paying off the 3K I have on the other one (it has a 6K limit) ( I will have to do some very quick manuevering) and once paid off- closing that one too.

I know we shouldn't really close accts. as they help w/ our average age, but except for this six day late my accounts are pristine, my mortgages have NEVER been paid late, I haven't paid anything late (except for this six days one) in I don't know how many years, and well...

what do y'all think? Close or not close? I mean, if we all just sit there and take it, how do I ever know they will ever increase my limit again? What if the other CC soft pull and see they deleted me so badly?

Advice?

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.