cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCT for Comenity/J. Crew still a SP, or now HP?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SCT for Comenity/J. Crew still a SP, or now HP?

I received a mail offer for a J. Crew card via Comenity. I've read that the SCT can be a SP or HP. I'm avoiding HPs at the moment and wanted to see if people had recent experience .When I go to the application after entering my pre-screened #, it is asking for my full SSN. The same is true if I click on the link in my J. Crew online account; I'm taken to an application that asks for my full SSN. 

Is it fair to assume that these would be HPs if I go through with them? I'll hold off if so. 

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SCT for Comenity/J. Crew still a SP, or now HP?

If your avoiding hp, skip it. 

Typically, any card that's not worth an hp to you, is not really wanted or needed. 

If its a card you actually want AND will use....the hp won't matter. 

Sidenote* I really wish SCT would go away. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used the SCT with them about 3 weeks ago. Haven't received a HP yet, so I doubt there will be one for me. But, just like anything dealing with this crazy credit world we've immersed ourselves in, there are no guarantees... 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

If your avoiding hp, skip it. 

Typically, any card that's not worth an hp to you, is not really wanted or needed. 

If its a card you actually want AND will use....the hp won't matter. 

Sidenote* I really wish SCT would go away. 

I'm trying to add more positive tradelines to my credit file. Right now I only have one credit card and figured this might be a low-risk way to add another one. I recognize that in general what you're saying makes sense, but I also hope to thicken up my file. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I used the SCT with them about 3 weeks ago. Haven't received a HP yet, so I doubt there will be one for me. But, just like anything dealing with this crazy credit world we've immersed ourselves in, there are no guarantees... 

Cool. Was it the link that appears in the dropdown menu when you go to My Account, or was it a true popup when you're in the order process? I got the mailer and I also see the link in my account area. Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.54.08 AM.jpg

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool. Was it the link that appears in the dropdown menu when you go to My Account, or was it a true popup when you're in the order process? I got the mailer and I also see the link in my account area. Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 9.54.08 AM.jpg

Mine was an actual pop-up during the checkout process. I wasn't even trying for the SCT, only had a package of socks (their low/no shows are great) and a clearance polo shirt in the cart. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get a hard pull when I got the card but got one when I asked for first credit line increase.  Hard pull really don't have that much effect on your score.  If you want the card for the benefits than go for it. I got 20 percent off when I got the card and then they sent me a 20 percent off coupon in the mail with the card.  I would wait until they have 30 percent off everything to get the card as you can combine the discounts. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kjohn1 wrote: 

Mine was an actual pop-up during the checkout process. I wasn't even trying for the SCT, only had a package of socks (their low/no shows are great) and a clearance polo shirt in the cart. 

Interesting. I don't get a popup but it may be because of browser issues. I just tried in a 2nd browser as a guest on their site but no luck. I'm reluctant to get the card it if it's an HP, and since the offer letter didn't only ask for the last 4 of my social I'm going to assume it's an HP. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Kjohn1 wrote: 

Interesting. I don't get a popup but it may be because of browser issues. I just tried in a 2nd browser as a guest on their site but no luck. I'm reluctant to get the card it if it's an HP, and since the offer letter didn't only ask for the last 4 of my social I'm going to assume it's an HP. 

I'm no SCT expert, but I do have three cards via that method (including the JC we're talking about, but that one wasn't intentional). I think you have to make sure pop ups aren't blocked; this one tricked me initially, because I thought they weren't blocked on the browser I was using, but when I dug further, I found another setting I had to change. So, just make sure you have your browser settings adjusted correctly.

Another thing I do (with all sites, not just SCT sites), if I know I'm going to make a purchase, is to create an account before I start shopping. And when I was trying for the SCT I made sure my name, address, phone number, and other details were exactly as they are on my credit reports. Lastly, I moved very slowly through the checkout process, hoping to give it time to recognize me and give me an offer.

Not sure if these things actually make a difference, but can't hurt. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a mail offer for the Comenity Boscov's card. The offered SL and Apr were prominently displayed with the option to activate online or by phone. Actually wanted the card so I called the number and activated it. Was a SP.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.