Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card and Closure Chance

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

SD Card and Closure Chance

I have PNC Everyday Rewards card that I haven't used since I got my Amex BCE. I know it has higher rewards in some categories, I'm just not a big enough spender to make it worth the wait to get to $100 cashback before I actually get the money. It isn't my oldest card (by far) and it is my lowest credit limit. If PNC closes it, by the time it falls off my report, I should have plenty of age on my other accounts. Is there any reason to keep it active so PNC doesn't close it? I'm assuming it doesn't look bad if it says a lender closed a card on my report?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

Re: SD Card and Closure Chance

@scientifics wrote:

I have PNC Everyday Rewards card that I haven't used since I got my Amex BCE. I know it has higher rewards in some categories, I'm just not a big enough spender to make it worth the wait to get to $100 cashback before I actually get the money. It isn't my oldest card (by far) and it is my lowest credit limit. If PNC closes it, by the time it falls off my report, I should have plenty of age on my other accounts. Is there any reason to keep it active so PNC doesn't close it? I'm assuming it doesn't look bad if it says a lender closed a card on my report?

Do you use PNC as your primary bank? I do and I have a points card. Its easy to pull it out once a month, put gas on it, then when I get home transfer the money over. Easy Peasy. Although, I have gone as much as six months without using it and they havent said a word.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Having "Account closed by credit grantor" is not viewed as a negative;  at least I have never heard it questioned, and FICO doesn't ding you for it.

IMO it is more or less the same as "Account closed at consumer's request", the overall payment history and status of the CC matter more than who closed it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

You only lose the CL with the account, you dont lose the age.

But 'closed at consumer's request' is good not bad.

Message 4 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would close it if you don't plan to use it and your AAoA will be OK.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

I will sd a card if I have enough cards without AF and cut the cards with AF first.

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I will sd a card if I have enough cards without AF and cut the cards with AF first.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

I do have some debit card that I sd i.e PSECU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.