Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD'd cards strategy?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: SD'd cards strategy?

I think it also depends on how much you care if a card gets closed.   Almost by definition, I don't really need my S/D cards.   Now once in a while I am surprised and a previously useless card becomes useful (Penfed for Redbird is the most recent, and in fact only example I have!)   So if that is your attitude, once  a year is fine, and if a fussy creditor closes one of the cards, well, that's OK.

Again, the cards usually aren't great because you don't need to use them for at least year, so no great loss.   (And no,  I don't believe in the need for utilization padding!)

Message 11 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP: Why is the REI card in the sock drawer? For REI-specific purchases it is your best rewards, right?

You should at least buy it some wool socks. Then a poly shirt. Then a rain jacket... and then a little knapsack to carry it all in.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 15
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

OP: Why is the REI card in the sock drawer? For REI-specific purchases it is your best rewards, right?

You should at least buy it some wool socks. Then a poly shirt. Then a rain jacket... and then a little knapsack to carry it all in.

hahha, yeah, I guess the REI card isn't REALLY in the sock drawer....when I shop at REI it comes with me....but that's only once every few months tops.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have two cards in the SD - Bloomindale's, which is only used for my birthday shopping (once a year). I think they are okay with the once a year usage, becuase they know that their products are expensive, and a yearly spend of $1k is enough to keep the acount open. 

Capital One Quicksilver - I do not use my QS 1 due to PCing to the Citi DC. I will however use my QS 1 every few months to got some use out of it that way I can get CLI every 6 monthis. 

I thnk if you use your cards every few months, then you will not have a problem with keeping the accounts open, and will not have a problem with keeping track of your due dates. What you can do is change all of your SD due dates to the same date that way you will have a need to remember several dates. 

Message 14 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Is that not enough usage?

Policies vary.  Verify directly with each of your creditors.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.