Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Chip and Pin Smart Card Visa

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

SDFCU Chip and Pin Smart Card Visa

I went to the branch office today to apply for membership at State Department Federal Credit Union.  The purpose of this visit was to apply for a chip and pin visa.  For anyone not familiar, Europe and especially the United Kingdom (where I will be living for the next few years) have more technologically advanced credit cards than most of the United States.  These cards are smart cards with a built in computer chip that allows transactions at merchants, vending machines, train ticket terminals, etc  by using a 4 digit pin after the smart chip is read.

I need one of these to get around, but rather than be forced to open a UK bank account, or be forced to withdraw pounds at the ATM anytime I go outside, I searched for US banks that offer chip and pin visas.  So I found SDFCU and went in to apply.  They accepted my membership by joining the ACC.  They then pulled experian and told me I have a 693 FICO and based on my credit, I qualify for an 8.99% APR.  They told me that I have to wait a day though for them to manually go through everything before I am approved for a card.  They did ask me what I wanted for a credit limit and I said 10k, which I kind of doubt I will get... the only card I have higher than that is NFCU.  But I really just hope everything goes through as I could really use this chip and pin card in the UK as opposed to paying cash or finding a pre-paid chip and pin card.

I will update when I find out if I got the card.  This could be a great credit union to join if anyone is interested in traveling to Europe.  They do have rates that beat NFCU though.  0% foreign transaction fee.  8.99% purchase/cash advance APR.  rewards points.  possibility for high credit limits.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
rob022574
Valued Member

Re: SDFCU Chip and Pin Smart Card Visa

@DaveSignal wrote:

I went to the branch office today to apply for membership at State Department Federal Credit Union.  The purpose of this visit was to apply for a chip and pin visa.  For anyone not familiar, Europe and especially the United Kingdom (where I will be living for the next few years) have more technologically advanced credit cards than most of the United States.  These cards are smart cards with a built in computer chip that allows transactions at merchants, vending machines, train ticket terminals, etc  by using a 4 digit pin after the smart chip is read.

I need one of these to get around, but rather than be forced to open a UK bank account, or be forced to withdraw pounds at the ATM anytime I go outside, I searched for US banks that offer chip and pin visas.  So I found SDFCU and went in to apply.  They accepted my membership by joining the ACC.  They then pulled experian and told me I have a 693 FICO and based on my credit, I qualify for an 8.99% APR.  They told me that I have to wait a day though for them to manually go through everything before I am approved for a card.  They did ask me what I wanted for a credit limit and I said 10k, which I kind of doubt I will get... the only card I have higher than that is NFCU.  But I really just hope everything goes through as I could really use this chip and pin card in the UK as opposed to paying cash or finding a pre-paid chip and pin card.

I will update when I find out if I got the card.  This could be a great credit union to join if anyone is interested in traveling to Europe.  They do have rates that beat NFCU though.  0% foreign transaction fee.  8.99% purchase/cash advance APR.  rewards points.  possibility for high credit limits.

Dave:

I applied for membership at SDFCU three weeks ago and applied for a CC with a 697 EXP. If you have any baddies, they will not accept your application. They told me to remove the baddy and then re-apply. Just wanted to give you a warning.

Message 2 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

damn.  The account rep I applied with didn't say anything about that.  The last time negative information was reported on one of my accounts was 2.3 years ago.  Looks like I could be doing the Orange-cash pre-paid route.  That sucks.  I did go in personally though and thought that I made a good impression... we'll see if that helps me.

EDIT:  In fact, before I even applied I told the rep: "This is what my EQ and TU FICO scores are.  Do you think I have a chance to be approved for a chip and pin card?"  Rep didn't even blink and said, "Yes, of course".

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 14
hemi961
Regular Contributor

If you don't get the SDFCU card, Andrews FCU has a chip and pin card as well.  I have one but I'm not sure how tough they are to get credit from.  Since you already joined ACC you are eligible for Andrews membership too.  Their card is called GlobeTrek.

Message 4 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I tried to get into Andrews FCU already actually.  I couldn't get in due to something on my Chexsystems report.   They said it was because possibly I owed money to a bank, but I definately don't owe money to any bank and actually have now 4 bank accounts in good standing: usaa, nfcu, penfed, sdfcu.... so I am not sure I should even bother looking into this chexsystems thing.  I might change my mind if SDFCU declines me for the chip and pin card.

Message 5 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

damn.  The account rep I applied with didn't say anything about that.  The last time negative information was reported on one of my accounts was 2.3 years ago.  Looks like I could be doing the Orange-cash pre-paid route.  That sucks.  I did go in personally though and thought that I made a good impression... we'll see if that helps me.

EDIT:  In fact, before I even applied I told the rep: "This is what my EQ and TU FICO scores are.  Do you think I have a chance to be approved for a chip and pin card?"  Rep didn't even blink and said, "Yes, of course".

Have you thought about getting their secured card as oppose to the Orange pre-paid? SDFCU secured card has the same benefits as their unsecured but their APR is 6.99%.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I tried to get into Andrews FCU already actually.  I couldn't get in due to something on my Chexsystems report.   They said it was because possibly I owed money to a bank, but I definately don't owe money to any bank and actually have now 4 bank accounts in good standing: usaa, nfcu, penfed, sdfcu.... so I am not sure I should even bother looking into this chexsystems thing.  I might change my mind if SDFCU declines me for the chip and pin card.

Did you actually pull and check over your Chexsystem report? When you open a deposit account all banks/CU pull Chexsystem.

Message 7 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Did you actually pull and check over your Chexsystem report? When you open a deposit account all banks/CU pull Chexsystem.

I can't actually find a place to 'pull' my Chexsystem report.  Instead it looks just like a mail order form.  I am about to move and will have a new APO, AE mailing address and there is no option to put in 'AE' for state... my zip code comes up invalid too.  So there seems to be no way for me to get this report.  I can't find any number to call that gets me to an actual person either.  I did request a report by voicemail using my APO, AE address however.  Hopefully they will send it to me.  I may just try for a BoA Travel Rewards card if the SDFCU doesn't pan out.

card UPDATE:  It looks like rob was right and they declined my application for credit based on payment history.  I explained my derrogatory marks and the csr put notes in my account and asked me to send in a written reconsideration letter.  I wrote said letter and faxed it to the consumer loans department.  After checking back later, they had received the letter and are having a meeting next Wednesday to make a decision.

I think I should hold off on applying for anything else at this time, just in case they decide to pull my credit report again (I don't want them to see other inquiries).

Message 8 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Message 9 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

yes i tried those.  I need a number that gets me to a real person.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.