Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Credit Union

tag
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Re: SDFCU Credit Union

@CreditDunce wrote:

The BoA secured card is not for someone rebuilding.  It is really more for someone with no credit.  The provided list of secured credit cards has about 16 credit cards that will graduate.  Most within a year, two tops.  The great thing about the BoA card is many people have been graduated earlier than 12 months.  Plus you can add the 321 rewards.  Rebuilders may not have as many choices.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I didn't realize that - I had seen some others use it during their rebuilding but those may have been unique circumstances.

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes , i have capital one the only secured card with $200. and my credit repair service (sky blue) saying i need at least 2 or 3 secured credit card. as we know there is lot of them you can apply now and , you would be approve probably , but i am trying to find some cards for update after some times.

and if it was soft pulls , i would try them. but as you know its hard pulls and will effect on score, which i don"t want it.

Message 22 of 41
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Open Sky has a secured credit card that only does soft pulls.  I do not believe it graduates, but it will be another credit card to add to the mix to help build scores.  I do not know how much the annual fee(s) is or really anything about it other than it is a soft pull and have seen others use it to re/build their credit.

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow its good. i will try  it now.as long as not effect on credit score even 3-5 point, why not?

thanks for that.

Message 24 of 41
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@needtodobetter wrote:

@CreditDunce wrote:

The BoA secured card is not for someone rebuilding.  It is really more for someone with no credit.  The provided list of secured credit cards has about 16 credit cards that will graduate.  Most within a year, two tops.  The great thing about the BoA card is many people have been graduated earlier than 12 months.  Plus you can add the 321 rewards.  Rebuilders may not have as many choices.

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I didn't realize that - I had seen some others use it during their rebuilding but those may have been unique circumstances.

Yes, some people rebuilding do get lucky with the BoA card during rebuilding. Probably the people who get all of there derog's taken care of before applying.   I doubt many people with a sub 500 EX score would be approved for it.   BoA is really targeting people new to credit.

Message 25 of 41
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes , i have capital one the only secured card with $200. and my credit repair service (sky blue) saying i need at least 2 or 3 secured credit card. as we know there is lot of them you can apply now and , you would be approve probably , but i am trying to find some cards for update after some times.

and if it was soft pulls , i would try them. but as you know its hard pulls and will effect on score, which i don"t want it.

It sounds like you are having some challenges with SDFCU. I joined them a few months ago, for the fun of it. I live on the west coast also. I never had to go into a branch. Never even had to call anyone there.

I joined on-line for the savings account. No HP. There is an on-line electronic signature verification you have to go through, but again, no branch visit.

After getting the membership figured out and logged in correctly, I transferred / deposited $500 to my savings account. You can deposit as little as $250 for SDFCU Secured credit card. I went with $500.

Once the funds were in my savings, I then filled out the on-line application for the Secured EMV VISA. Easy approval, no HP at all. I think this had on-line electronic signing of documents as well. No branch visit.

Secured VISA card came in the mail, what, a week, 10 days later or something.

No annual fee. No foreign transaction fees. No balance transfer fees. 6.99% APR on the secured card. Cannot be beaten, no other secured card is better (as long as you have $250 to pony up)

The SDFCU Secured card does not graduate, but that is not something you should use as a criteria right now. Trying to find a secured card that graduates is what is confusing you. Just get the SDFCU secured card, then let it start building your credit history. After a year, you will want to app outright for something else anyway, and it may be a SDFCU regular card.

Or, you may decide to just increase the savings you have at SDFCU, because adding to the savings will raise your secured card credit limit. No muss, no fuss, no HP.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 26 of 41
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Really in your case, the HP's don't matter.  You want to get 2-3 secured cards.  Gently use them for the next year.  After a year, you can decide if your score is ready for better cards or not.   You shouldn't be applying for any more credit after you are approved for a couple of secured cards.  It will take time for your credit score to go up.   If you can get derog info GW'd or PFD, your score can increase faster.  But it isn't a fast process.

INQ's do not hurt your FICO score after 1 year.

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

NRB525,  thanks for response.

the only reason i fill the app over the phone,for soft  pull, they told me if you apply direct from website would be hard pull and effect on credit score.

something should be wrong i apply for my wife and i, over the phone . even i sent cop of my DL and SSC by email. after 5 days branch manager told me we are sorry we cann"t approve something for identity protection. which was BS.

Message 28 of 41
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NRB525,  thanks for response.

the only reason i fill the app over the phone,for soft  pull, they told me if you apply direct from website would be hard pull and effect on credit score.

something should be wrong i apply for my wife and i, over the phone . even i sent cop of my DL and SSC by email. after 5 days branch manager told me we are sorry we cann"t approve something for identity protection. which was BS.

They are talking about the regular credit card then.

There is no HP for the secured card.

Why are you applying over the phone? Just make sure your account is set up on line, deposit $250 to your savings account through a transfer, and then fill out the on-line secured card application. That way, you can see and know exactly what you are applying for, which is not the regular credit card.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Don"t want 2- or 3. The sky blue credit repair services, advice me to have 2-3 credait card. and the other side iam doing PFD and GW letter to my  some account .

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.