Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEARS MasterCard!!

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: SEARS Mastercard!!

If you go to solutions.partnercardservices.com it will take you to a site "Powered by HSBC" and has a disclaimer that "This card is issued by Capital One"

If you look at it simply as a rebuilder and use it as one you'll be OK.  If you are looking for something that you'll keep for a long time, rethink it and look at a secured card at a credit union.

Message 11 of 24
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: SEARS Mastercard!!

EITHER WAY SEARS PLATINUM MASTERCARD IS NOT THAT GREAT THEIR REWARDS ARE RETARDED LIKE NO TOMMOROW. Its more of a keep in case you fall off your stairs and need it for the emergency room. Their are other great Cards issued by CITI. #Justsayin

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 12 of 24
750hunting
Established Member

Re: SEARS MasterCard!!

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Lol anything Citi backed is NOT for rebuilding!!!! More like getting denied for. Citi is a stickler and their cust service is typically poor.

+1
Yeah, tell me about it. I wish I had seen this thread  a week ago. Just recently app'd online for the store card, was looking for a kmart store card since I am in first steps of rebuild thought I didn't need to go to the Sears store because I was not app'ing  for visa or mc. Thought I might have a good chance for the store card. Well I got the 30 day message, so today I called to get status and the rep who answers starts this whole speel about getting my free annual credit report. yada yada yada...We reviewed your EXP reported and this..this.. this.. is on your report. I felt like I was being scalded for  being bad. No, actually it felt like she was saying " how dare you app for this card with your credit report. Well you must be stupid and I need to teach you how to understand your credit ." 

Or, maybe I am overly sensitive this morning but either way this experience will be remember when I am in good shape creditwise. No Thank You Citi!

TU 571 EQ 553 EXP 537 (5/2012) lender pulls
TU 653 EQ 602 (9/2012) myFico
TU 690 EQ 614 (10/2012) myFico
TU 690 EQ 632 (11/2012) myFico
Rebuilding again. This time I will!
TU 579 EQ 568 EXP 586 (2/2016) myfico
Message 13 of 24
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I wish I wasn't stupid in my younger days...I'd have a Citi card now at least...hahah.

But after hearing some of the horror stories, I'm not too disappointed about not having a Citi account.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 14 of 24
Terry76308
Valued Member

@GABrown wrote:
Question: Does anyone have this card or have you heard of it? I went to Sears yesterday and this lady stop me and explained this card to me. Used my will power and restrained from applying but the one thing that's was tempting was that she said they are targeting people that needed to rebuild their credit. Once I got home I was tempted again and went online and looked at the card but I didn't see the rebuild credit part and it also said apply in store only.

Just curious

I have found that the Sears Mastercard is an excellent card for 0% offers only if the balance is paid in full before the promotional ends.  For example, I have had to replace a refrigerator, washer/dryer and having the option to pay over time without paying interest has certinaly come in handy.  From what Citi has told me, those with excellent credit qualify for the Mastercard version and those with good credit qualify for the store card.  The clerk in the store ended up submitting my application for both for which I was approved eventhough there really was no need for two accounts.  Anyway, the damage is done and I guess keeping both accounts for a while is an option.  So, to answer your question, the Mastercard verson is not a rebuilder at least the one issued by Citi Bank.

AMEX Green Card - NPSL [Member Since 1995] | AMEX Everyday Card ($25,000) 6/14 Backdated to 1995 | Discover IT ($17,500) | JCPenney Credit Card ($7,000) | Home Depot ($10,000) | Citi ThankYou Preferred Visa Signature ($16,000) | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - ($17,000) | Sam's Club MasterCard - ($20,000) - 5% off gas at any fuel pump | Wells Fargo Personal Line of Credit - ($15,000) | Firestone - ($2,600)

FICO's - 767 EX, 778 EQ, 790 TU [02/2015]
Message 15 of 24
One7
Valued Contributor

Maybe they get some kind of bonus for getting people to apply or approved for one and the person was just saying what he thought you wanted to hear. Citi-backed cards are definitely not a card for rebuilding though.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 16 of 24
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Which one? There are two. The SEARS store card and the SEARS Mastercard? Imo, neither are worth it. The interest rates on them are usually sky high and the promotions they run are few and far between (0% interest for a specified period of time on either specfic purchases or the renewal protection agreements).

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 17 of 24
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I actually work at sears. The card isnt for rebuilding credit. I will tell you now the cashiers prey on everyone. It is run by Citi Bank. However if Citi cannot approve you then Barclays may offer you a card with a AF. The cashiers also get paid for every application even if its declined. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 18 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

I actually work at sears. The card isnt for rebuilding credit. I will tell you now the cashiers prey on everyone. It is run by Citi Bank. However if Citi cannot approve you then Barclays may offer you a card with a AF. The cashiers also get paid for every application even if its declined. 

Barclay backs a 2nd tier Sears MC Now??

Message 19 of 24
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

@One7 wrote:

Maybe they get some kind of bonus for getting people to apply or approved for one and the person was just saying what he thought you wanted to hear. Citi-backed cards are definitely not a card for rebuilding though.

This is the reason. I used to work at Sears at we get paid for each application we process, same amount for both the MC and store card, whether they're approved or not. However, you also get in trouble if you dont process enough applications per certain number of transactions (and not by dollar amount, but just by the number of transactions, so have fun trying to convince someone to open a credit card when theyre buying a pack of gum!) so everyone would make up a bunch of crap to try to get people to apply for the card. And if youre gullible enough to say yes, you'd better believe we'd casually suggest that you apply for the second one 'at the same time since it only takes a few seconds longer'.

Basically, unless you know for certain that what the clerk is saying is true, be wary. Or just look for a better card to apply for because the Sears MC sucks anyways =P

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.