Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERIOUS Chase Love in a ~40 Day span

tag
WindBlazer3
Established Member

SERIOUS Chase Love in a ~40 Day span

First - the backstory.  Coming out of college, I got a Chase Slate card, a Cap One card, and an Amex green.  I ran everything through my Amex green and didn't do much with my other cards.  However, I soon realized that I wanted some actual credit cards with large limits rather than just relying on my Green card.  Amex denied my summarily denied my request without even pulling my credit.  I shifted all of my monthly expenditures to my Chase Slate card.  After 6 months, I requested a CLI on my paltry 1k limit.  Denied.  Waited another 6 months and tried applying for CLI in the branch office.  Embarassing Denial.  Attempted recon.  Denied. Waited a few more months.  Deeeenied.  In frustration, I shifted the majority of my checking/savings over to USAA with my wife when we got married (she was a member, I was not), along with my auto insurance, renters', et cetera, leaving only my monies for tithing over at Chase.  I was hesitant to cancel a checking account that I started with WaMu back in 2006, and I figured I might want to keep a small checking account relationship with Chase in case we needed them for an auto or home loan down the line.

Next - the shift.  When I heard about the AARP card and its incredible 5% cash back for 6 months bonus, I leaped at the opportunity, as I was getting engaged and planning a wedding and knew I would be putting 10k a month through the card no problem between wedding expenses, engagement rings, normal monthly expenses, etc  After recon-ing my denial, I was approved for 1k.  I tried my luck again and managed to PC my reward-less Chase Slate to a Freedom card and they bumped me from 1k to 1.5k.  At the time my FICO was ~680.

Finally - the sweet smell of airline tickets galore.  Fast forward 8 months.  I've literally maxed out and paid off one of these two Chase cards every single week since then, all while making sure less than 20% was reporting every month.  Last month, they gave me an auto-CLI on my Freedom card from 1.5k to 2.5k.  That gave me the guts to ask for a CLI on my AARP card from 1k to 5k.  They denied my request but granted me 3k.  Fast forward 30 days - I applied for the Southwest rapid rewards card and was initially denied on EQ due to number of inqs but recon-ed and when they pulled EX.....APPROVED for 5k (yay for 50,000 bonus rapid rewards points!)

This is my biggest limit yet, so I'm very excited about it.

My wife and I plan to take a couple of domestic vacations every year until we have children, so I'll be burning and churning this Southwest Card for airline tickets.  I will be using my Freedom card only for 5% bonus cash back purchases every quarter up to the maximum.  I'll keep the AARP card alive for now, but I may try to roll that limit into my Southwest card and cancel it....as this would help me keep my util low on the Southwest card.

I am ready to garden now, although I may just get a USAA credit card for the mobile deposit.  Silly, I know, but they would likely give me a large limit and I'm going to get it for the mobile deposit eventually...so I might as well get it before I garden...right?  I'm concerned, though, because I have 5 inqs on EQ in the past 6 months (three were moving related, not applying for new credit), and I believe they will pull EQ for me.

AAoA - 1.5 yrs

EQ FICO ~720-740 depending on util

Southwest Premier - 5k

AARP - 3k

Chase Freedom Visa - 2.5k

AMEX Green - My highest balance was ~10k  --> I will likely be PC'ing this to an AF-free Zync before my next AF is due

Cap One - 1k (Sock-drawered and looking at kicking it to the curb before the next AF, even though it's my oldest card)

Lesson learned?  Burn and churn your Chase cards, and they will give you much love in return (eventually).

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.