Did you mean: 

SHould I close FP card?

tag
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: SHould I close FP card?

@Sitori wrote:
Ok thanks.

Should I close it before apping for the new credit or after?

I'd close it before, it will look better if you have to recon.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 11 of 42
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Drop them like a bad habit.   The annual fee is rediculous.  

Message 12 of 42
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

close it, way too may fees, if you ask for a cli they charge you a % of whatever they approve you for. i ditched my and they tried to get me to keep it by waiving the annual fee and cli fee, but they were also charging me $7 servicing fee any month i had a balance. stay strong don't let them talk you into keeping it open, they will tell you experts do not rec.closing positve trade lines and line of other crap. i saved my card as a reminder to never burn my credit again so i never have to deal w/ companies like them again!

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 13 of 42
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Haha! Yes they convinced me to stay open when I tried to close last time. But I figured I would keep it open until I was getting close to the AF date lol. I believe it's June or July , so I should close it this month.

It's not really doing much except for adding to my UTL. Hopefully I will get an increase from discover once I get to my 6th statement and I won't have to worry as much about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 14 of 42
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i would close it ASAP!!! BoA denied me on a recon becasue i had FP open. paid it. closed it a month later i had BoA

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 15 of 42
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Lol! Wow that's nuts! Ooook then I am closing immediately!! Thanks guys!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 16 of 42
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

It's not going to drop my score at all is it??? When closing it?

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 17 of 42
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

If there's any drop, it will be minimal.  The FP card and your good payment history on it will continue to report for 10 years. As others have said, you could absolutely be denied by some credit card issuers if they see an open First Premier on your report, so I would close it now.  You've gotten a couple good prime cards - keep using them and you will eventually be good to go on whatever cards you want.

Message 18 of 42
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks a bunch

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 19 of 42
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@Sitori wrote:
...they convinced me to stay open when I tried to close last time.

Just ask them exactly what they will do for you if you agree to keep the card.  Demand that the CSR be quite specific regarding the benefits.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.