Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY my CC Portfolio

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY my CC Portfolio

Recently had the same debate with myself. Closed four bank cards and two store cards. Reason, could not use all of them and I did run into lenders that felt I had too much available credit (which was true). In my case one lender reduced my credit with them by 25% ($10,000). Scared me into action and now I am working with a diversified herd of cards and feel better about it. Many good comments in this thread.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple is always good. Less accounts to keep an eye on. 

I would want one of each of the four major networks. Could go down to 3, as it is less important to have Discover now that places like Sam's club accept other cards. But I love their Customer service. Thats why they get most of my spend right now 

Message 12 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Just don't change your mind about credit priorities. Some people talk about simplification and close a lot of accounts, but then end up opening the same (or similar) ones a few weeks or months later. Constantly opening and closing cards really only makes sense if a person is focused on bonus hunting.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Just don't change your mind about credit priorities. Some people talk about simplification and close a lot of accounts, but then end up opening the same (or similar) ones a few weeks or months later. Constantly opening and closing cards really only makes sense if a person is focused on bonus hunting.

This exactly. You have to make a plan and stick to it. So if you feel less is more, go with it and stick with it.

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is your utilization looking overall, grill? That is another area I would suggest to take a look at when making your decision. Smiley Happy

Love this board and our supportive, positive and helpful myfico family here! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently had the same debate with myself. Closed four bank cards and two store cards. Reason, could not use all of them and I did run into lenders that felt I had too much available credit (which was true). In my case one lender reduced my credit with them by 25% ($10,000). Scared me into action and now I am working with a diversified herd of cards and feel better about it. Many good comments in this thread.

+1 on closing store cards - I'm always an advocate of that Smiley Happy

Love this board and our supportive, positive, and helpful myfico family here! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 32
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

OP, do it if that what makes sense for you.    I don't like to app  (in fact makes my stomach knot up and not in a good way!) so for me slow, steady, and low exposure works. Its certainly made me think about the next steps, and what the real goals are. I would lose my mind if I handled as many cards as some people do here...lol

if you question if you have too many cards, you likely do.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

OP, do it if that what makes sense for you.   

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Exactly, chickenpotpie. OP has to do what personally makes sense for him. None of us can tell him the ideal number for his needs and purpose, we can only provide our thoughts and the decision is his to make. Smiley Happy

keoki-picasso-trigger.jpg

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep I'm also not a fan of Store Cards so no big loss there imo Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

Closing Store Cards is not even a debate. Do it. They are useless except at that store, and only lead to one thinking "I should go to Kay Jewlers just to buy that $100 earing set to keep my credit card happy." Not a good basis for using your credit card Smiley Wink

On the other hand, I'd consider finding a good quality VISA card, such as Chase Freedom or a Cap One VISA. And personally, I'd not rely on Barclays as one of the three legs of my credit platform, when another leg is Discover. Likely no issue, but there's enough sketchy Barclays reports to make me wonder. Capital One, though, is perhaps enough of a solid base (rock solid in my opinion) that even the Discover and Barclays become redundant and inconsequential as the two weakest legs of that credit base.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.