Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 689
Registered: ‎12-01-2011
0

SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

Here is my situation. We are trying to get my husbands score to a 640 by the end of the year. His EQ FICO is a 558 right now. He had a FP card get charged off last May for $368, we settled for $272 in Feb and his EQ score was 511, the FP card reported a $96 balance, his score went up to 558. It should have posted a $0 balance and settled, but the CA we paid didn't notify FP that it was actually a settlement, not a payment, so FP is due to report again on April 15th, in which they will report $0 and settled in full, so I expect his score to go up a little again. 

We accidentally paid our car payment late in December, (wrote the po box # down wrong) so a 30 day late was put on my husbands CR, the auto fiance comp. agreed to delete that 30 day late, so I expect (hope) so see another small jump when that 30 day late removed. 

He has 2 collections (one for $250 one for $2400) falling off one in May, one in July because it will be past the CRTP. Hopefully we see a score jump from that as well. 

He was approved for a cap one secured for $99 dep. CL of $200. We will be paying that next Friday. Also hoping to get a credit card through our credit union. The minimum deposit is $250, so we're hoping to get an unsecured card. 

So right now ,we will have just the cap. one card. How should we use this card to get his score to go up the quickest way possible? I have been told let around 5% report then pay it in full, then I heard that that doesn't really raise your score. I need to know how to use this card, to get his score to go up over the next 7-8 months. 

I'd also like to know how when he has multiple cards, to use multiple cards to get his score up as well. Should all the cards report a small balance then pay them all in full? Or just let one report around 5% and let the others report $0? I am SO confused. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me! Again, we're trying to build that score up as much and as fast as possible in the next 7-8 months!

Established Contributor
Posts: 689
Registered: ‎12-01-2011
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

No one knows how to use CC's to get them to build your score??

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

You post about no response after 17 minutes!

 

THere is a rebuilding section on this forum that will have the answers that you need.  Search first, people don't always rush to post answers to questions that have been asked and answered many times.

Contributor
Posts: 80
Registered: ‎11-27-2012
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

I'm not one of the pros here, but I believe the key is keeping it under 9 percent so it sounds like you're doing well in that regard. When you have multiple cards a lot of people like to let small balances report on one or two cards each month (keeping under 9 percent) then perhaps alternating with other cards in the coming months. This way you show you're using your cards, but aren't running a balance on all of them. Using it this way should lead to a steady increase, though not necessarily a huge jump -- maybe bigger though when going from no credit cards. My guess is the deletion of those collections will result in some significant jumps though. When my last collection was deleted my Equifax score jumped 100 points.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,070
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

Let one card report a balance between 1 and 9% of that card's CL (not total CL across all cards).  Let all others report $0.

 

That will optimize your utilization.  But it doesn't raise your score more quickly.  Your score is based on an individual report.  It's a snapshot.  To raise your score more, you'll have to work on removing negatives.  Other than that, you just have to wait.  The longer your history, and the more time you have since your last negative, the more you will improve. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??


Walt_K wrote:

Let one card report a balance between 1 and 9% of that card's CL (not total CL across all cards).  Let all others report $0.

 

That will optimize your utilization.  But it doesn't raise your score more quickly.  Your score is based on an individual report.  It's a snapshot.  To raise your score more, you'll have to work on removing negatives.  Other than that, you just have to wait.  The longer your history, and the more time you have since your last negative, the more you will improve. 


+1. There's more to raising a score than just credit card usage. Good luck!

Meg.

FICO: 10/2015 - TU 796 | EQ 801 | EX 806

FNBO 19,650 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays / Sallie Mae WMC 13,000 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | Discover IT 8,300 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Amex SPG 5,700 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Established Contributor
Posts: 689
Registered: ‎12-01-2011
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??


bs6054 wrote:

You post about no response after 17 minutes!

 

THere is a rebuilding section on this forum that will have the answers that you need.  Search first, people don't always rush to post answers to questions that have been asked and answered many times.


Seriously? Keep the rude comments to your self. 26 people read my post so yes, I got to thinking, really? Out of 26 people no one in the CREDIT CARD forum has an answer to my question? If I was asking a REBUILDING question, I would've posted in the REBUILDING forum, but since my question pertains to credit cards, I saw fit to post in the credit card forum. 

Established Contributor
Posts: 689
Registered: ‎12-01-2011
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??


SpiceIslander wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

Let one card report a balance between 1 and 9% of that card's CL (not total CL across all cards).  Let all others report $0.

 

That will optimize your utilization.  But it doesn't raise your score more quickly.  Your score is based on an individual report.  It's a snapshot.  To raise your score more, you'll have to work on removing negatives.  Other than that, you just have to wait.  The longer your history, and the more time you have since your last negative, the more you will improve. 


+1. There's more to raising a score than just credit card usage. Good luck!


That's why i'm confused lol because I've read some people got a 50+ point jump in around 6 months just from their credit card. There won't be any negatives on his report anymore after the 2 that are fixing to fall off fall off. Well, he'll have a repo still from '08, but that will be it.

Established Contributor
Posts: 689
Registered: ‎12-01-2011
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??


dmorey wrote:

I'm not one of the pros here, but I believe the key is keeping it under 9 percent so it sounds like you're doing well in that regard. When you have multiple cards a lot of people like to let small balances report on one or two cards each month (keeping under 9 percent) then perhaps alternating with other cards in the coming months. This way you show you're using your cards, but aren't running a balance on all of them. Using it this way should lead to a steady increase, though not necessarily a huge jump -- maybe bigger though when going from no credit cards. My guess is the deletion of those collections will result in some significant jumps though. When my last collection was deleted my Equifax score jumped 100 points.


100 points from 1 collection being removed!? Holy moly! That would be nice. I was hoping for a 10 point increase when these two collections fall off!!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 391
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0

Re: SO confused. How to use cards to raise score fast??

[ Edited ]

That's why i'm confused lol because I've read some people got a 50+ point jump in around 6 months just from their credit card. There won't be any negatives on his report anymore after the 2 that are fixing to fall off fall off. Well, he'll have a repo still from '08, but that will be it.


The credit score is based on the entire profile. Those who have had a 50 point jump will not have a credit report that's identical to your husband's. I agree that when the negatives fall off, he'll get a good-sized increase. Perhaps, what you can do is pull his credit report & score from here and see what's in the section about what's hurting the score. That should give you a good idea. By the way, I know someone with a 765 FICO score and he has no credit cards, never did. That's an example of how scores are not based solely on credit cards.

Meg.

FICO: 10/2015 - TU 796 | EQ 801 | EX 806

FNBO 19,650 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays / Sallie Mae WMC 13,000 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | Discover IT 8,300 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Amex SPG 5,700 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.