cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP or HP when apping as Amex cardholder?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SP or HP when apping as Amex cardholder?

i thought I'd read it was an SP if denied as an existing cardholder? But I can't seem to find supporting info with all the new changes lately. Anyone know? (Slightly fed up with the low CL on the Delta and the refusal to stop using an old report for CLI judgements.)

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SP or HP when apping as Amex cardholder?

Looks like SP + HP. If approved, HP else SP is what I read.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a hp for my BCE last month.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh. Not sure if I want to take the hit for a wee limit that won't move. I'm probably being impatient, but I'm annoyed they won't use a fresh report.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a hp for my BCE last month.

Were you an Amex cardholder before the application with an Amex through Centurion Bank (most Amex cards are but a few exceptions). And were you denied on the BCE? The SP is only for denials on new cards for existing cardholders. Approvals are HPs. Denials for people without an Amex card is a HP. 

EDIT: 

Looking at your signature, it looks like you were approved for the BCE. Approvals have always been HPs. 

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

When did Amex go through to centurion? I got the delta in March of this year.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When did Amex go through to centurion? I got the delta in March of this year.

American Express CCs are issued by Centurion bank and has been that way as long as I remember. 

A few Amex cards are issued by local CUs/other issuers, but these are not accessed through the Amex website. Your standard Amex cards you access through their website are issued by Centurion bank. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. Reading fail. Any suggestions on the most likely approved with just at the edge of a 700 score? So far, the delta is not showing itself useful.
Message 8 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Gotcha. Reading fail. Any suggestions on the most likely approved with just at the edge of a 700 score? So far, the delta is not showing itself useful.

Well, here is what you need to understand about how AMEX uses SP vs HP. All these comments are Most Likely situation based on some triangulation I think I've figured from other commenters.

For prequalifications and the Early Determination of getting a card, the SP (if any) they have on file is used.

At the moment of first application for card #1, they will do a HP. Usually this is EX, not always. The HP is as much for tagging the card applicant in their file, because the SP they have on file, if sufficient, is likely used for that first CL grant. Only if the card application goes to Manual Review do I think the HP comes into play.

As soon as the card is granted, the cardholder has the ability to request a CLI. HOWEVER the review of the CLI is based on the last SP, which may be from several months ago, may be enough to get in the door with a basic card, but if the scores have been increasing recently (looks that way for OP) then the SP may NOT be adequate for a CLI. Note here: The HP that was done at the time of apping is NOT used for this or any other CLI review. Only the latest SP.

As a result, it is commonly suggested that the cardholder wait 61 days after the app to try for a CLI. This has more to do with letting the SP score catch up, not so much some hard and fast rule in AMEX.

Once a CLI has been granted (using the latest SP) then the cardholder has to wait 6 months before any other AMEX Centurion bank card can request a CLI. This is a hard and fast rule.

If an existing AMEX Centurion Cardholder apps for another AMEX Centurion card, then the latest SP is used to validate whether the new card will be granted. Based on the strength of this SP, the card may be granted, may be denied. If the card is granted, a HP is registered, and again, I don't think this HP plays any role in granting the card. Only if the card application goes to manual review could the HP be reviewed. This results in the possibility of an existing Centurion AMEX cardholder apping, getting denied, and still seeing a HP on their report: Even the HP was not enough to get past the Manual Review in that case.

OP, have your scores increased a lot in the last 30 - 60 days? In that case, you may just be too far ahead of where the latest SP is. If you've been denied CLI, how long have you waited after the last CLI denial? I believe there is a waiting period if the CLI is denied. Letting your scores catch up through the SP (which is very hard to determine, others may have suggestions for how to see the last AMEX SP) is advised. Even then, if your usage and payment aren't up to standards, the CLI may be denied.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the 30 CLI, denied. Then waited another 90, denied again. Income is more than enough to support and several other cards with higher limits reporting. I know they've SP me more recently than my last CLI request as I've seen it. Not sure where that keeps me standing, but the snark I've received from their reporting and analyst lines has not been promising.

I even tried the back to back apps when I got th delta, and denied for the green card and the BCE.

I'm not sure what else to do, but with the limit and puny rewards, it will inevitably end up in the sock drawer.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.