cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP vs. HP (Bank's view-difference in the report detail?)

tag
singulardedication
Valued Member

SP vs. HP (Bank's view-difference in the report detail?)

When Banks do a soft pull or Hard pull.  What is different in the data that they see?

Is a HP just about marking that you asked about new or additional credit?

I would have though their would be a quality or at least minor detail difference which pushes some banks to do HPs.

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: SP vs. HP (Bank's view-difference in the report detail?)

@singulardedication wrote:

When Banks do a soft pull or Hard pull.  What is different in the data that they see?

There is no difference. Only current creditors can do a SP. If you are apping for a new CC, it's a HP. Some CCs will do a SP for CLIs and others insist on doing a HP. AFAIK, they see the same thing; it's just their company policy as to which one they do. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 8
Guava
Established Contributor

+1 

No difference in data, it's just the way the pull is coded/categorized

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 3 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

If the data is the same then why do some insist on doing a HP?

Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@boomhower wrote:

If the data is the same then why do some insist on doing a HP?

An excessive loyalty to the concept of reporting when consumers are "seeking new credit"?

That's the point of a hard pull. It lets creditors know when consumers are busy apping.

As for what they see, just to clarify: if you're already a customer, they see everything on a soft that they would see on a hard. This is with an -AR (account review) or -AM (account maintenance) suffix, as seen on Equifax reports.

If you're NOT already a customer, the soft is just a display of your demographics (i.e., your contact info) and a very general description of your credit profile, so that the buyer of the soft can decide whether to dangle an offer at you. This is with a -PR (for promotional) suffix, again as seen on Equifax reports. That's why so many people get burned when they think they are accepting an offer.

I just wanted to toss that in there because so many people get confused about the two types of soft pulls.

edit: cna't splel

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
singulardedication
Valued Member

Re: SP vs. HP (Bank's view-SP types)

Ah thank thats very good info.  I just got this nice detailed table of different types of Soft pulls from my equifax report I did'nt notice before.
PR sounds bad since looks like a bank is selling you to another.
PrefixPrefix Description
PRMInquiries with this prefix indicate that only your name and address were given to a credit grantor so they can provide you a firm offer of credit or insurance.
(PRM inquiries remain for twelve months.)
AM or ARInquiries with these prefixes indicate a periodic review of your credit history by one of your creditors.
(AM and AR inquiries remain for twelve months.)
EMPLInquiries with this prefix indicate an employment inquiry. (EMPL inquiries remain for 24 months)
Equifax or EFXInquiries with these prefixes indicate Equifax’s activity in response to your contact with us for a copy of your credit file or a research request.
NDInquiries with this prefix are general inquiries that do not display to credit grantors.
(ND inquiries remain for twelve months.)
ND MRInquiries with this prefix indicate the reissue of a mortgage credit report containing information from your Equifax credit file to another company in connection with a mortgage loan.
(ND MR inquiries remain for 24 months.)
PRInquiries with this prefix indicate that a creditor reviewed your account as part of a portfolio they are purchasing.
(PR inquiries remain for 12 months.)

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@singulardedication wrote:

I would have though their would be a quality or at least minor detail difference which pushes some banks to do HPs.

No difference, same report. Only different for you is if it's a SP no hit on your credit file.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
ottergo4
Contributor

Perhaps some banks like to do a HP when they could SP so another inquiry shows on your report making it a bit harder to get credit elsewhere, so in turn you stay with them for your business.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.