cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG 30K offer is back for limited time

tag
Smerri

Re: SPG 30K offer is back for limited time

Have the personal card and just opened the business card for the 30k deal. Will be a nice addition to my SPG balance.

Message 41 of 49
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Open123 and CreditScholar that's a good point about forex fees. I don't travel abroad often and usually reach for the Platinum or an Ink card as it's mostly business related. I wonder if we might see AmEx make some moves to add the feature to several revolvers in the future? It would be a great addition to the SPG card for sure. 

I quickly looked at the SPG transfer page and it says:

"Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints® per transaction per program within a 24-hour period to the frequent flyer programs listed below.¹ Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints!This means that up to 94,999 Starpoints can be transferred into your frequent flyer account, with most airline partners, making a free flight that much closer.² Please keep in mind that only one airline transfer transaction per member, per airline program, is permitted within a 24-hour period." 

My plan was to move 80K points year end to an airline for travel next year and net 100K with bonuses (4x 20K at a time) but after reading that I feel inadequate as my yearly transfer would be the maximum for a single daily transfer. Sheesh. 

Do two different transfers of 60,000 and 20,000 to get 100,000.

---

Have had the personal twice (churned and got the bonuses twice) and it is definitely my go to, primary spend card. The business card will be a nice boost of 30,000 points too.

Whether you redeem for hotel stays you can get a great redemption or if you use it specifical

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 42 of 49
jla84
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I wasn't really planning on apping for this but the offer was too good to pass up and I've heard this is a really good travel rewards card. Instant approval - will probably call before I get the card so I can find out what my CL is! 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 49
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I'm apping for this once everything is updated on my report... i.e. paid off two auto loans, new credits, etc
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 44 of 49
StudentSam
New Contributor

Got this offer in an email, not in a posiiton to apply right now because im trying to hold out until the plum

Starting Score: 506
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@scenery_guy

Congrats and thanks for the info!

+1

Congrats!  

30K SPG points is a great offer and will always come in extremely handy.  Thanks for the recon, which has helped me ponder in advance which of my revolvers I'll close.

I can't believe I beat you to the jump. I read a post here earlier where a member says they have 5 revolvers with AmEx. Perhaps you are grandfathered or get lucky? I was not aware of that maximum in advance so it threw me off my game (that and telling me there was an issue). Good luck and keep us posted. 

Of course, there's no way I'd let this deal pass by without app'ing for it.  

Because of your experience, I decided to app over the telephone.  Likewise, I was advised that I had to close one of my revolvers (had 4) before my application could be approved.  I just closed the BCP, and was then approved.

The person opening the account was incredibly thorough.  She double checked to ensure I would qualify for the 30K.  The interesting thing is the Business SPG lacks the, "If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months."

To follow up on Bribo's experience, for those who want both, apply for the personal first.

*Edited* - Updated for PS - Further to all of the "why is Amex so great" queries, though my BCP fee was paid over 6 months ago, I've been refunded the fee in its entirety, which I neither requsted nor expected.  

Message 46 of 49
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@scenery_guy

Congrats and thanks for the info!

+1

Congrats!  

30K SPG points is a great offer and will always come in extremely handy.  Thanks for the recon, which has helped me ponder in advance which of my revolvers I'll close.

I can't believe I beat you to the jump. I read a post here earlier where a member says they have 5 revolvers with AmEx. Perhaps you are grandfathered or get lucky? I was not aware of that maximum in advance so it threw me off my game (that and telling me there was an issue). Good luck and keep us posted. 

Of course, there's no way I'd let this deal pass by without app'ing for it.  

Because of your experience, I decided to app over the telephone.  Likewise, I was advised that I had to close one of my revolvers (had 4) before my application could be approved.  I just closed the BCP, and was then approved.

The person opening the account was incredibly thorough.  She double checked to ensure I would qualify for the 30K.  The interesting thing is the Business SPG lacks the, "If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months."

To follow up on Bribo's experience, for those who want both, apply for the personal first.

*Edited* - Updated for PS - Further to all of the "why is Amex so great" queries, though my BCP fee was paid over 6 months ago, I've been refunded the fee in its entirety, which I neither requsted nor expected.  

I'm glad you got it, and will be getting the bonus! I like the thought of calling in to apply, might try that next time whenever that might happen. 

Message 47 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

scenery_guy wrote:I'm glad you got it, and will be getting the bonus! I like the thought of calling in to apply, might try that next time whenever that might happen. 

Thanks!

Being privy to the 4 revolver limit certainly made the process much smoother.  This time, applying over the phone certainly avoided many potential mishaps. 

Oh, and from your post on a different thread, once you hit the 5K, your 20K bonus should post immediately upon statement close.  If not, then it means Amex must have coded it as a "current customer" which may preclude the bonus from automatically posting.  At that point, I think you'd have to manually request it.

Message 48 of 49
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Open123

Congrats on your approval. Nice to hear that you had a positive experience with the CSR too!
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.