Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG 61 day CLI

tag
red259
Super Contributor

SPG 61 day CLI

I have a 61 day CLI on my spg coming up at the end of the month. Does it make much difference if I pay the card off or not before applying? The initial limit is 2k (which is absurdly low in context of my other cards and likely a result of the number of new accounts I have over the past year), so I'm trying to get 6k. I'm not carrying a balance, but it is quite possible that at the time I go for the CLI I may have used up most of the credit line even though a payment is not due yet. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
titancylinder
Regular Contributor

Re: SPG 61 day CLI

Personally for me, I'm letting a high balance report, then paying it off. I've read on the forums paying the card off before the first statement close can delay CB reporting. 

YMMV!

Coming Soon
Message 2 of 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It might help to have it paid off but I think Amex looks at other factors more; new accts, overall utilization, etc...
Message 3 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

@titancylinder wrote:

Personally for me, I'm letting a high balance report, then paying it off. I've read on the forums paying the card off before the first statement close can delay CB reporting. 

YMMV!

Well you never need to let a "high" balance report in order to get your card reported to the credit bureau. In fact, doing that very thing could kill your credit utilization rating and make it even harder to get a CLI If you activate the card but don't charge anything I have heard it won't report to your credit report until you do use it for at least a small charge. I've never tested this theory, since I am always using my cards right away. In my situation my card is already reporting. Furthermore, it doesn't really matter if its on my credit report or not, because I am asking for a CLI from the lender of the card itself, so clearly they know alll the history with the card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 5
chalupaman
Super Contributor

For me, I pretty much made a very large purchase with my card almost the second it got here and paid the majority of that balance off before anything had been due but always made sure if I did carry a balance that it would be under 20% and as close as possible to the 10% range. Didn't get the 3x CLI as I had planned though I think there were some other factors at work but doing that was still enough for them to give me a decent counteroffer and the weirdest part is that they had no problems approving my Every Day card today and with that and my current Delta Gold limit combined, i have over 6k right there.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.