Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG and Starpoints

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SPG and Starpoints

I have never used any of my star points that I have earned with this card, not that there is very many. I know that on January 1 they transferred all of my points I had earned on my SPG card to my SPG account. When I use the American express mobile application I see a few hundred star points and I am wondering how I get them to my SPG account. do I have to call Amex?

Furthermore, once I get all of my points together I would like to convert to Hilton as I just got the Amex Hilton and plan to actually use the points. How then do I move SPG to Hilton.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPG and Starpoints

@Anonymous wrote:
I have never used any of my star points that I have earned with this card, not that there is very many. I know that on January 1 they transferred all of my points I had earned on my SPG card to my SPG account. When I use the American express mobile application I see a few hundred star points and I am wondering how I get them to my SPG account. do I have to call Amex?

Furthermore, once I get all of my points together I would like to convert to Hilton as I just got the Amex Hilton and plan to actually use the points. How then do I move SPG to Hilton.

The points that show on the mobile will,  or already have been,  transfer automatically to your SPG account.

As for transferring SPG points to Hilton, you can't.  They are two different hotel chains so they don't mix well together.

Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Irish answered your question well, but just to be clear... right under the Starpoints it says "Starpoints Earned YTD with your card," so that is everything earned since January 1st as of your most recent statement (it's not in real time).  Amex sends your new earnings to your SPG account when your statement closes and they appear usually within 24-48 hours in your SPG account, and are then added to that number that displays in your Amex account.  At no time do you have a pool of points sitting with Amex like you would with Membership Rewards points.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX should transfer earned points to your SPG account after each statement closes. In terms of SPG to Hilton, I know you used to be able to transfer SPG to Virgin, and then Virgin to Hilton. Not sure if that still works. However, it definitely was not worth it. Hilton points are not worth very much (usually around 0.5 cents), whereas SPG points are very valuable (usually >2 cents).

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX should transfer earned points to your SPG account after each statement closes. In terms of SPG to Hilton, I know you used to be able to transfer SPG to Virgin, and then Virgin to Hilton. Not sure if that still works. However, it definitely was not worth it. Hilton points are not worth very much (usually around 0.5 cents), whereas SPG points are very valuable (usually >2 cents).

You can still transfer SPG points to Virgin Atlantic at a 1:1 rate and then transfer to Hiilton at a 2:3 rate.  The SPG points according to TPG are worth 2.5 and as you say the Hilton ones are worth .05, so 5 cents transferred to 1.5 cents.  Not a very wise move

Message 5 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Agreed, not wise at all.  TPG's valuation is actually up to 2.7 now and even that is very conservative.  With things like the Marriott exchange rate and 5th night free, it's easy to get twice that or more!  I could see doing it if you had points that you knew you would probably never use though.  Getting 1/3 or less value is better than none.  The issue with that is that you usually have to transfer in even increments of thousands so OP would need 1,000 SPG points to even get started.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SPG account looks like this:

Starpoints: 1439
Stays: 2
Nights: 5
Total nights: 10

I have been considering closing my Amex SPG as I don't use it and the AF is coming up soon. What would you do?
Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If the 2-5-10 are just from the yearly SPG card bonus towards elite status and you really don't stay at SPG/Marriott/R-C properties, I'd just move 1000 Starwood points to another rewards program. Also worth hitting up AmEx retention.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.