Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG vs CSP

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

SPG vs CSP

Which one fits your life style better and why?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPG vs CSP

@DigitalArk wrote:

Obviously we know your affiliation. Smiley Tongue I like both programs but find myself using SPG more due to being transferable to AA. I may be annoyed with the lack of awards availability lately on AA, but I still find it to be a great program.

Message 2 of 13
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Obviously we know your affiliation. Smiley Tongue ...

Ya Smiley Wink There are so much more transfer partners with SPG.

I used to pay for Boingo WiFi...with SPG, not any more!

It's a no brainer for me. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 13
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I held both cards for several years, and the CSP was the one I ultimately decided to keep. The SPG card is excellent for high, noncategory spending and if you reguarly stay at their properties due to how difficult it is to amass Starwood points otherwise. I am much more inclined to choose one of the hotel brands in my signature over the Starwood properties, however, and that is why I had to cancel my SPG. Hyatt is my first choice when traveling and it is also a very good UR transfer partner. 

I think the only way I would get the SPG card again is if a free anniversary night certificate is included in the card's benefits. Unfortunately, I don't ever see that happening due to how popular the card has been, even without the certificate.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for and got the SPG this past month.  They sent me the old style card though, and they said it's too soon to order a replacement.  That was annoying.  I also have an almost uselessly low credit limit on it.  My CSP still gets used almost anytime I go out for dinner, depending on the situation, so that beats the SPG for most things.  The one nice thing about SPG (which has nothing to do with the card itself) is linking it to my Uber account and getting 1 point for every dollar I spend on rides (plus more if you're checked into one of their hotels), which is pretty significant.   That coupled with the 20% discount with the Quicksilver makes Uber an amazing value.

Sorry to get offtopic.  Basically I use my CSP for dining, I will use my SPG mostly just at their hotels and random small purchases to keep the card active.

Message 5 of 13
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I'm seriously considering closing the SPG because I simply don't stay in hotels often enough for it to be a good value for me. Yes, the points can also be used for quite a few airlines, but most of those airlines do not serve my local airport at all, and for those that do United is usually offering more and cheaper flights.

I know that in the raw point redemption value that can be achieved, Starwood points are great. But given my preference for booking vacation rental homes instead of hotels and my airport situation, it's becoming clear that at least right now the card is not nearly as much of a value to me as the CSP.

I also like being able to multiply my earn rate on the CSP with the 5x Freedom bonus categories, and by shopping online through the Ultimate Rewards portal, and by eating out (which I do more than I should).

My lifestyle is one where the majority of my travel is for pleasure, not business, and what pleases me most is to live like a local when I get there. So I tend to redeem points for airfare and pay accomodation out of pocket so that I can stay closer to the "ground" than I would be in a hotel.

Your mileage may vary.  ;-)

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

How good is the Boingo WiFi? This will def be a nice perk if the speeds are good.

Message 7 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

How good is the Boingo WiFi? This will def be a nice perk if the speeds are good.

I'm not sure yet. I have used that service in flight and at the airport, but it will be interesting since I just signed up for it with my card and I will be trying it out in my home city when I am out of the office over the next few days. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 13
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

It is fast enough for me to play any online games or watch netflix.

Their customer service is pretty good too.

No major complaints, except their app...

Message 9 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

I downgraded the CSP to CS, but that is only because I have the ink card. In the end I think both cards are very different and they work in tandem. The CSP is good to earn UR points on restaurant/travel spend and allows transfer to travel partners. The SPG card is good for spend where I do not have a category bonus and can provide me access to different travel partners than chase. For me both work in the context of my spending because they don't really overlap. Chase URs are easier to generate than SPG points though, but SPG points can give me more value with low redemptions for hotels or transfer bonuses. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.