Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STILL no luv from Cap1 magic number

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

STILL no luv from Cap1 magic number

After finally getting my automatic CreditSteps CLI from $300-$500, and after several unsuccessful pre-CLI attempts with the magic number, I thought I'd try again now that my auto-CLI was about a month old.

DENIED!

I explained to the Sr. Account Manager that I like getting the 1.25% cashback with this card, but the problem is that the low limit only allows me to use this card for one or two days of my everyday expenses per month, and I really don't want to have to go online and make an online payment every few days just to be able to keep using my card.

DENIED!

Sr. Account Manager reminded me that I have 0% intro rate for another 8 months.  I replied that that's nice but it really doesn't do me any good since I never carry a balance and don't plan to.  The point, I said, was that I wanted to use this card for my everyday expenses, but I can't do that since it will only last me a couple of days between payments.

DENIED!

I asked Sr. Account Manager why Cap1 is having such a hard time staying competitive with my other cards.  It is by far my lowest limit, and I really don't understand why I'm never eligible for a CLI.

DENIED!

Sr. Account Manager informed me my account was probably too new for a CLI.  (I know that's not true since others here have gotten luv from this number with much newer cards than mine.)  So I asked Sr. Account Manager how long I should wait before asking again.  No response.  "A couple of months?" I said.  "Ummm...sure." he said unconvincingly.

"OK then," I said.  "If that's the case then I'll keep my Cap1 card at home, and it won't go back in my wallet until I get a CLI I can actually use."

"Thank you for calling, and have a nice day."

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: STILL no luv from Cap1 magic number

well that just bites! looks like it's time for some flushing and replacing.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the club Cheddar! Two of my Cap 1 cards are 5 and 6 years old...both have CL of $500...both were at $300 until  10 months ago. I've called and asked twice since for CLI...no luck. They lowered my APR and I never pay an AF so I'll continue to use them for an occaisional tank of gas. Wonderful BT offers with both but not much good when the CL is so low!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

V, maybe they are slow giving us cli because all the slot machines take credit cards now?! Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am glad I dont have Cap1 Cards.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to be Cap 1's new strategy.   Probably if you applied for a couple new cards with them, they will approve you.  They want people to have several of their low limit cards, which reduces their liability risk of money to any individual, while increasing the risk that you'll screw up on one of them.  So they can hit you with fees and default interest.  

I too just got one of their low limit cards with a 300 dollar limit.  It's practically useless but at least it's helping build my CR.  I've PIF for 2 months and I'm going into the third month in March, after which I should get my auto increase.  I will try the BD number a couple months after that.  I wouldn't get too discouraged.  Who knows how many people they have there answering the phones?  It could be all in who you get on the phone on what day.  It's not like the same person is granting and refusing everybody that's called there.  It doesn't seem like there's much rhyme or reason to it to me unless they're starting to catch on to this and somebody has told them to stop.

In the mean time, we continue to get offers in the mail from them.  I refuse to get another Cap 1 card.  I don't need credit that bad to where I'm going to play their games.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

beenthere wrote:

V, maybe they are slow giving us cli because all the slot machines take credit cards now?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL....so you think they made their decision based on my address, Beenthere?  Really no stranger then the method they DO use!

Actually, I'm thankful that Cap 1 was there when I needed them to rebuild my credit after BK and divorce 7 yrs ago. I swore then I'd always be a customer and do right by them. Never a late and never over limit.

Cardkeeper, I'm certain I could apply for a new card and receive much better CLs, but I already have a 3rd (4 yrs. old). This one has a $4500 limit. I don't want a 4th!! Just want my puny $500 limits to report as $1000 limit at least! 

I've almost always carried some kind of balance on these cards...last couple of months I've charged gas on them and PIF'd before statement posts. Different strategy...hopefully different results! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 02-09-2008 12:32 PM

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 02-09-2008 12:33 PM

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 02-09-2008 12:33 PM
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

VEEnVEGAS wrote:

I've almost always carried some kind of balance on these cards...last couple of months I've charged gas on them and PIF'd before statement posts. Different strategy...hopefully different results! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck, and I do have my fingers crossed for you, but I'm sorry to report this is exactly the method I've been using for the last 5 months, and it's gotten me nowhere, as you can see. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

At 6 months you should be fine for a CLI using the back-door #. I just hit 6 months this month, called the back-door & was granted a $500 CLI immediately available in less than 3 minutes. If I can get one I am almost assured you can. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by DavidLee on 02-09-2008 06:06 PM
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DavidLee wrote:
At 6 months you should be fine for a CLI using the back-door #. I just hit 6 months this month, called the back-door & was granted a $500 CLI immediately available in less than 3 minutes. If I can get one I am almost assured you can. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by DavidLee on 02-09-2008 06:06 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, DavidLee.  I'm giving this card another 3-4 months, and if they don't show me some luv, they're getting flushed and replaced, as ducky suggested above.

The thing is, I'm just not convinced that the reason is that my account is too new.  I see people getting luv on Cap1 cards when they've only been opened for 6 weeks.  Other people say they got luv from the backdoor number just a few days after their 3-month auto-CLI.  How come they don't get denied because their cards are too new?

No, I think that for some reason when I applied and was approved, Cap1 stuck me in a box due to what my reports and scores looked like at the time, and haven't bothered to check whether I've managed to climb out of that box in the meantime.  Which I have, BTW!!!

I know I haven't had this card long, but my patience with them is wearing thin.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.