Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURE AMEX-----I'D LOVE TO!! NOT!!

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

SURE AMEX-----I'D LOVE TO!! NOT!!

OMG, I cannot believe this!

After all the posts I're read on Amex CLDs and nervously checking my account twice a day to see if it's happened to me, DH and I both get letters today from Amex.

My heart skipped a beat because they looked so ominous.....just plain envelopes with the Amex logo on the back flap.....I though, uhoh, here it is...

WOULD YOU BELIEVE THEY WERE BT OFFERS WITH SPECIAL LIFETIME APR?!?!?!?!

I am stunned!!  Especially "lifetime APR".....  puhleeze.......just read a post recently that one of the CLD reasons was carrying a balance over 12 months!! 

And here they are offering a BT with a special lifetime APR!!

Maybe this is their new ploy....send these letters and as soon as you respond, they CLD ya!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: SURE AMEX-----I'D LOVE TO!! NOT!!

Do not fall into the trap.

I have happened to read a lot of threads where people reported that balances for more than 3 mos is the reason for AA. Even if it is BT.

Proceed cautiosly.

Message Edited by wmarat on 10-11-2008 05:35 PM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 16
voidman
Established Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

OMG, I cannot believe this!

After all the posts I're read on Amex CLDs and nervously checking my account twice a day to see if it's happened to me, DH and I both get letters today from Amex.

My heart skipped a beat because they looked so ominous.....just plain envelopes with the Amex logo on the back flap.....I though, uhoh, here it is...

WOULD YOU BELIEVE THEY WERE BT OFFERS WITH SPECIAL LIFETIME APR?!?!?!?!

I am stunned!!  Especially "lifetime APR".....  puhleeze.......just read a post recently that one of the CLD reasons was carrying a balance over 12 months!! 

And here they are offering a BT with a special lifetime APR!!

Maybe this is their new ploy....send these letters and as soon as you respond, they CLD ya!!

They do not define the lifetime? Probably they expect the lifetime of the BT to be less than 6 months over that they get nervous. 

-void
Message 3 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Take the card if it makes sense for your long-term credit plan; don't carry balances.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex + Balance on Amex = hmm? Too spicy for my stomach. In my opinion if you show a PIF'd mortgage on your CR which matches the address where you currently live at, have low UTL with no negs you're probably safe from Amex AA.
Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-11-2008 10:14 PM
Message 5 of 16
rom828
Established Contributor

@wmarat wrote:

Do not fall into the trap.

I have happened to read a lot of threads where people reported that balances for more than 3 mos is the reason for AA. Even if it is BT.

Proceed cautiosly.

Message Edited by wmarat on 10-11-2008 05:35 PM

Believe me, I have no intention of responding.....I just thought it quite, what's the word, ironic, that Amex sent a BT offer in the midst of all the CLD activity they're performing..

I guess the sarcarsm in my post was not very clear!!

Just thought I'd share this with the forum for a laugh!!

Message Edited by rom828 on 10-11-2008 07:45 PM
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

These days Amex isn't comfortable when their cardholders carry a balance on a mortgage loan more than 3 months!

I kid I kid.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx sent me some BT checks a few weeks ago - I thought 'CLD checks, more like' and very quickly shredded them into tiny pieces and threw them away. Even touching those things made me half expect AA to occur at any second! 

Actually, I don't even have any balances to transfer - so maybe those checks were for going out and spending, or for paying cash into my checking account. Either way, I'm sure AA would have followed at breathtaking speed had I chosen to take them up on this thoughtful offer. 

Message 8 of 16
rom828
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx sent me some BT checks a few weeks ago - I thought 'CLD checks, more like'

EXACTLY!! Thats why I was sharing this with the the forum!!

There are so many posts about the CLDs and then here comes a letter offering a BT......I'm sure so they can CLD me all the sooner!!

I think any Amex card holder doing anything but trying to stay invisible is asking for CLD!!  I keep trying to stay below the CLD radar myself, but from all the posts, who the heck knows what the radar' looing for!!!

Message 9 of 16
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AmEx sent me some BT checks a few weeks ago - I thought 'CLD checks, more like' and very quickly shredded them into tiny pieces and threw them away. Even touching those things made me half expect AA to occur at any second! 

Smiley Very Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.